Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

My 35-year old daughter has had MS for the past 14 years.

My 35-year old daughter has had MS for the past 14 years. Her remitting/recurring exacerbations have always presented themselves exactly the same. They start with eyes bouncing from side to side and her balance is off. Then she is unable to walk. She is given IV treatment of Solu-Medrol. After 8 or so days, her sysmptoms start subsiding and she is good to go. However, last week she awoke from a nap and had trouble talking. She felt as though she had to force her words to come out of her mouth. Her upper lip was pursing when she talks and she doesn't even feel it pursing. She also feels as though she is outside of her body. The emergency room didn't feel like it was a stroke and neither did her neurologist. The neurologist just feels as if this is another presentation of an MS exacerbation. He has put her on a round of Solu-Medrol. It's not helping. Any ideas?
Hi
Any other medical problems or medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, she not been on MS medication in about 5 years because she could not tolerate the earlier ones and they didn't seem to work. The doctor will be starting her on Tecfidera very soon. Also she is on anti-depressants and birth control pills (not sure of the brand)

did she have a MRI or CT scan of the head?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes many. Her last MRI was October 6, 2013. No changes from previous scans. These symptoms showed up last weekend, Saturday, November 2, 2013. I feel as though they need to do another MRI to see if there is a change between the Oct 6th MRI and now. But her neurologist (who specializes in MS) just thinks it is a new presentation. Quite frustrating.

Thanks
Well- with a MRI which does not show stroke, this is probably progression of her MS.
MS can give you waxing and waning symptoms which are quite similar to stroke as well as well as the dissociative symptoms as you describe.
If the solumedrol is not working, then she may need to consider other medications for progressive MS including : interferon (Avonex, Betaseron, Extavia, and Rebif ), glatiramer acetate (Copaxone), mitoxantrone (Novantrone), teriflunomide (Aubagio), fingolimod (Gilenya), dimethyl fumarate (Tecfidera), and natalizumab (Tysabri).

But they do need to consider being more aggressive with the treatment since her symptoms are worsening.

I hope that I provided you with excellent service.
Please leave positive feedback if I did
Use reply if you need clarification.
:-)