Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Hello! I recently performed oral on a woman that I dont

Hello! I recently performed oral sex on a woman that I don't know well. I spent a considerable amount of time pleasuring her and things got pretty damp down there. After doing so I noticed that I had a small broken blister at the base of my little finger. It couldn't have been more than a a few hours old. While I did not finger my partner with that hand it was none the less rather damp by the time we finished up. I'm guessing that a good amount of the dampness was from my saliva and that that in addition to the exposure to the air would make this less of a risk, but do you think that I could be at serious risk for contracting hiv through this wound?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you this evening.

Chris C. :

Was there any bleeding in the blister area or other cuts, etc?

Chris C. :

Was this a sex worker?

Chris C. :

You are correct in that most of the fluid was likely saliva depending on the woman the vagina secretions can be quite heavy. Even if most of the fluid were vaginal fluid without an open bleeding area or open cut there is only a very small chance of transmitting hiv. This is of course if she is positive in the first place. Sex workers have a high rate of infection than the general population.

Customer:

I don't think that there was any bleeding unless it was just a pin point of a wound. Pretty sure its just a freshly popped blister Maybe a centimeter in diameter. She was not a sex worker. Just a woman that I hooked up with.

Chris C. :

Are you there?

Chris C. :

Ok

Chris C. :

With a blister this would not be a blood to blood exposure that is required for transmission of hiv. If this were an open cut it would be a risk. A blister is simply a later of skin that separates so there is no exposure to your blood.

Chris C. :

If she were infected...

Chris C. :

The chance of you getting infected as a result of oral sex is about 5%.

Chris C. :

Since far more people are not infected than are the average chance in your case would be less than 1/2 of 1%.

Chris C. :

This is even with your blister that opened.

Customer:

OK. That's cool. So a person has a 5% chance of getting infected from oral sex (assuming that the partner is positive)? That's higher than I thought.

Chris C. :

Yes that is correct. This is if you have open cuts, oral lesions, bleeding gums, etc.

Customer:

I did have another incident recently that concerns me a bit. Believe it or not I'm not that active (feast or famine I guess) but I was recently having sex with a couple that I know and I think the male friend's semen might have dripped on the corner of my closed eye. It was either that or sweat. I was able to wipe it away before opening my eye and I didn't feel anything sting in the eye. Is this something that I need to be concerned about?

Chris C. :

I understand feast or famine for sure. That's all of us I think. If you got semen in your eye this is again not a high risk since the crucial factor is direct contact with your blood as in open sores, cuts, or anal sex where small cuts take place, or vaginal penetration that exposes the penis opening which ast just like an open cut. So you have little to worry about. Women that do facials are at low risk as well unless they lick it, etc and have open sores in the mouth/lips/gums.

Chris C. :

The main thing to remember is that there has to be an open pathway for the virus to get into the bloodstream.

Chris C. :

Your skin is normally sealed so unless you have cuts it is safe, etc.

Chris C. :

Just follow that principle and you should be safe. Of course unprotected sex is high risk and also sex with anyone in the industry that is not regularly checked for stds. The only safe sex workers would be in Nevada or some overseas locations that require testing in order to work.

Customer:

OK, that's cool. Just for clarification, you're saying that the 5% risk that you talked about with oral is assuming that there is an open cut, lesion, etc?

Chris C. :

Yes that is correct.

Customer:

OK, cool. Thanks for your help.

Chris C. :

You are very welcome! Thanks for your question. If you need further assistance I can be reached direct at: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-c-coleman/

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Chris C. :

Please also remember to rate so I get credit for my time today.

Customer:

ok