Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

For the last four days, my body temp is 96. I feel like Im

For the last four days, my body temp is 96. I feel like I'm freezing. I can't seem to get it back up. My normal temp is usually 97.4. I am under extreme stress and feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown. A lot of the stressors are trying to get basic needs like housing, food, medication, etc. I also have major stressors at work. I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 11 months ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Do you have nausea, acid reflux, bloating, cough, tremors, Headache?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes to all of the above except bloating.

Thanks Maureen,

Are you on any medications?

Any significant past illness?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I take NovoLog and Lantus insulin for diabetes. I take 2-200 mg tabs of Wellbutrin and 1-90 mg cap daily for anxiety and depression. I take 1-40 mg tab of Zocor for colesteral. I take 1-20 mg tab of Nadolol for a heart condition that surfaced from all the stress. And I take 1-.25 mg tab of Mirapex for restless leg.

I have had no illness, significant or insignificant, except for the heart condition showing up in early June.

Maureen,

Your all symptoms including the low body temperature can be explained by the stress. This releases lot of various body hormones which affect the autonomic nervous system which in turn affect the regulation of the body temperature. Your symptoms are boundaries to panic. The best way to deal with panic is a comprehensive approach. It can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are inter net based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring yourself that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response. Alprazolam (Xanax) has been widely used for panic disorder.

CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as panic, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences.Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve panic symptoms and prevent recurrences.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is it dangerous to have a body temp that is low like mine is now? I'm actually shivering right now. I can tell my body's not right, but I don't really feel sick. Is that normal?

Maureen,

Ideally you should have the measurement of the pulse and blood pressure. If those parameters are normal, a low temperature with shivering is unlikely to be dangerous. Still an examination by a doctor would be recommended.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I also noticed with the low body temp, I get a very hot flushed face. Is that normal? Besides the behavioral work, which takes time, is there anything I can do to get quicker relief from this?

Maureen,

A facial flushing with low temperature is not abnormal and do occur due to secondary vasodilatation. You may take Melatonin or Valerian which are over the counter for the immediate relief.

Thanks for giving me opportunity to answer your questions and concerns.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine