911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

So, a few weeks ago, I sat on my leg/ankle and heard a loud

Customer Question

So, a few weeks ago, I sat on my leg/ankle and heard a loud POP. I saw my primary care after bruising and swelling became apparent on my ankle, was given a brace and sent on my way after Xrays revealed that my ankle was fine. However, There seems to be an apparent issue on the side of the back of the knee, or side of the leg where the knee is.. When i stand up it hurts, if I extend it when im sitting down, it hurts. If I am walking I am fine, but if i get up from sitting or extending when sitting.. forget it.. but for as long as i am standing life is great... any ideas??? Should I be going back to my primary???
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 11 months ago.

911Doctor :

Yes,

911Doctor :

you need to go back

911Doctor :

the reason is that even though your ankle did not have an evident break

911Doctor :

the leg bones can transmit shear forces up when an ankle is injured and even though the ankle is the primary site of injury

911Doctor :

the force can cause an injury higher

911Doctor :

sometimes the proximal fibula

911Doctor :

small bone in the lower leg

911Doctor :

can actually be fractured or broken this way

911Doctor :

another concern is that your knee, the ligaments around the knee, and the tendons around the knee may be injured

911Doctor :

you certainly need an xray of your knee and surrounding areas

Customer:

well, its on the outter side going towards the back

911Doctor :

but you also need a good hands-on exam as well.... especially of the knee joint itself

911Doctor :

understood, that is where the fibular head is

911Doctor :

and even if this is not a bony problem there are lots of small structures around the knee that could be involved

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

if I had knelt on that leg in a certain spot the pain would shoot.. but it went away after a week or so...

911Doctor :

so do you feel this is getting better each day or is it now consistently painful with the movements you describe?

Customer:

well.. I can kneel on the leg at this point.. but the pain when standing feels more persistant.. like i find im limping for a second or two

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

not standing but getting up from a sitting position to standing

911Doctor :

so, I do think you have an injury closer to the knee, and to get to the proper diagnosis you will need another check... probably another Xray

Customer:

that and the sitting and pain when extending...

911Doctor :

the main reason being we need to identify the injury to properly rehabilitate it

Customer:

reading the page you suggested

911Doctor :

good

Customer:

ooooh i remember reading this right after i popped the ankle!!

911Doctor :

your description of symptoms is helpful, but in now way a substitue for an exam by someone who knows what they are doing....

Customer:

haha i go looking for stuff lol

911Doctor :

that's a good thing!

Customer:

ok.. so i should def be calling my primary then..

911Doctor :

yes, definitely

911Doctor :

proper rehab and diagnosis needed!

Customer:

i think your right about the knee too because today i felt pain just below inside the knee that didnt last long but i felt it.. felt like a bubble

911Doctor :

sometimes it works like they taught us in medical school

911Doctor :

haha

Customer:

i can feel the pain more when I am sitting..

Customer:

LOL

911Doctor :

yup, time to get it checked

Customer:

blah.. i was hoping id be fine.. but i dont think so..

911Doctor :

9sorry ;

911Doctor :

;(

911Doctor :

typo

Customer:

its okay! it happens.. it was my own stupid fault

911Doctor :

but yes

911Doctor :

you have a great attitude though and I'm sure you will get this healed up properly when you get a proper diagnosis.

911Doctor :

anything else this afternoon about this?

Customer:

one last ?

911Doctor :

ok

Customer:

regarding the same issue but, I noticed last night that laying down in bed that my leg at the knee was bent as if i was bending it but my leg was relaxed.. which i found strange.. im wondering if its a cord?? a really tight one..??

911Doctor :

you probably have an effusion... fluid in or around the joint that makes full extension or flexion a little hard or at least limits them

911Doctor :

you definitely need a recheck :)

Customer:

:) thank you. I appreciate the chat tonight :) ill be calling my dr tomorrow morning :)

911Doctor :

excellent

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sooo I went back to my primary.. he said it sounded like I agrivated the tendon, with a touch of bursitis.. but I am not so sure at this point.. told me to take Ibprophen for 10 days 3 times a day.. if that doesnt work he is sending me to an orthopedic... but I am finding the pain is moving.. it feels more like the upper part of the lower half of the leg just under the knee..it feels weird to even walk at this point..?? He did not take Xrays

That's too bad.

The good part of this is that you are going to see an orthopedist.

This is not such a bad plan... It sounds like your primary care doctor is not so comfortable with orthopedic issues which may be a bit out of the ordinary. That's fairly common.

With the instability, or feeling of instability that you are describing I do not think this is likely to resolve on its own, so again, I think you will be seeing an orthopedist, and I think that's when you will get an Xray and maybe an MRI.

Best