Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

I have a pain in my left side low down - about 5 ins below

I have a pain in my left side low down - about 5 ins below belly button and to the left. I have had flu which left me with a persistent cough. The pain is very bad when I cough and even makes me limp.
Any other medical problems or medications?
Do you smoke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None. I do not smoke or drink. Pain just started in lower abdomen today after coughing. Had cough now for 3 weeks. I saw my Dr about cough but not pain as it had not started then. She said cough due to post nasal drip after having had flu. Hope this info helpful.

Does it hurt more when you press down on the abdomen?
Any fever or chills
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it doesn't hurt more when I press down. Hurts more when standing, sitting and lying relieves pain. No fever or chills.

any back pain? blood in urine or pain with urination?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cannot tell re blood in urine tho as I have my period. No back pain or pain with urination.

Thanks for the additional information
Well, if the pain is really positional, it is likely to be musculoskeletal pain since it gets worse with sitting and standing.
Pain secondary to colon inflammation like diverticulitis or kidney stone would be persistent and not changing with movement
At this point, you can apply warm compresses to the area to relax the muscle. As well, taking motrin 600 every 6 hours will help.
If you do get worsening pain or shortness of breath, black or bloody stool, fever or other concerning symptoms, you will need to see a doctor right away.

I will send you a note tomorrow to check on you, but you can reply here any time to keep me up dated, ok?

I hope that I provided you with excellent service.
Please leave positive feedback if I did
Use reply if you need clarification.
Hi I was following up to see how you are feeling :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, the pain is much better for rest and heat. Many thanks for your help.