Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

For about a week now, I have had serious bouts of bloating

For about a week now, I have had serious bouts of bloating after I eat. I can eat a small amount of food and my abdomen becomes very distended. Normal bowels (well, normal for me; diarrhea half the time and normal stools the other half)... I don't feel full, I just get very bloated. Please help...all I find online screams ovarian cancer. For a few days, my stomach hurt along with the bloating. H. pylori, maybe?
Hi
Do you have a family history of ovarian cancer?
Any weight loss?
ANy other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No...no history of ovarian cancer. My mother died of a very rare type of soft tissue sarcoma. No weight loss. Weight GAIN, actually. Over the past year and a half I've probably gained 20 lbs. Doctor always says it's my metabolism slowing down since I've turned 30. No other symptoms than bloating and gas.
Hi Liz, thanks for writing back- do you have a history of thyroid issues?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Funny you ask that. While I've never been diagnosed, I've been thinking that I do. It just makes sense.
Well I will be honest with you, you don't gain that much weight when you turn 30. Maybe when you are 50.
So if this is going on, I suspect that you might have low thyroid and this is needs to be checked
this can certainly cause your symptoms.
Ovarian cancer is insidious and can cause weight LOSS not weight gain. As well, it it the slow development of bloating etc. This wouldn't be over one week.

As well, this could be irritable bowel or reflux. But this does NOT sound like ovarian cancer.

Get a thyroid test done, eat a bland diet, and try daily zantac.

I hope that this helped
please leave positive feedback if it did.
use reply if you need clarification :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a thyroid test just simple blood work? I'm hoping my obgyn does this. We no longer have an endocrinologist in my city.
it is simple blood work
And she can treat it
You need a TSH and a T4 level.

I hope that this helped
use reply if you need clarification :-)