Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Is neck pain with headache ok to treat with tylenol or does

Is neck pain with headache ok to treat with tylenol or does it always need to be checked out with an examination?
Do you have associated high fever?
Stuffy nose?
What is your occupation?
Prolonged hours of doing work?
Since how long have you been suffering from?
Any other medical history?
Blurred vision?
Neck stiffness?
Nausea and vomiting?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No fever. Stuffy nose, yes. Insurance agent - desk job. Yesterday evening my neck started becoming sore on both sides. This is similar to how it has been feeling in the morning - as if I have slept on it wrong. So, I have woken up with this same neck pain a lot recently but I usually don't get it randomly in the middle of the day. I also have a slight headache.

In addition I have a tightening feeling on my forehead and some ringing in my ears.

The only other random symptom is sometime I have a feeling of warmth above my eye.

eyes are blurry occasionally but not often. No nausea and vomiting.

and I have had very bad sleep lately.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

also my neck hurts when I move it, turning from side to side, etc. on the right side its closer down near my shoulder and on the left side the pain is higher up.

Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe,in my opinion you shouldn't ignore your symptoms as they get worse gradually over the time.
Possible causes may include Sinusitis,Cervicogenic headache,Cervical spondylosis,Tension headache.
You should take OTC Motrin instead of Tylenol as Motrin has anti-inflammatory effects and more effective than Tylenol.
You can take 200 mg Motrin every 4-6 hourly.
Also do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses with a heating pad on back of neck,shoulder.
Take short breaks of rest while doing work.
Take OTC Claritin.
You can take Sudafed decongestant for 3 days.
Drink warm liquids.
Steam inhalation can be effective in your case.
And take proper sleep.
Use a humidifier in your room.
If your symptoms'll persist then consult your regular doctor for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then we can discuss it.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I dont need to worry about all the scary stuff I find on the internet for headache and stiff neck such as meningitis and cervical artery dissection?

Thanks for the follow-up.
In case of meningitis,neck stiffness,severe headache are associated with high fever,chills,nausea,vomiting.
The symptoms of cervical artery dissection include severe headache,pain in your neck,a drooping eyelid,unequal pupils,difficulties swallowing,feeling weak on one side of your body.
As you describe,chances of meningitis(as you have no fever,vomiting) and cervical artery dissection are less.
However if you have severe headache then it should be concerned and may require urgent medical attention.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would the pain in neck be on one side or both sides?

Hello,pain in neck can be on one or both sides in meningitis and cervical artery dissection.

Hope this helps.