Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My 10 year old daughter woke up this morning with her right

My 10 year old daughter woke up this morning with her right eye swollen shut. Since we had been camping this past weekend, I was afraid that she possibly had gotten poison oak in her eye.

I took her to an eye doctor today and upon exam she told me she has an internal stye under her lid. My daughter gets styes all of the time, but this is a first for it being under the lid.

It is extremely painful, but is draining. We have put warm compresses on it today and tonight she is in so much pain. Pain to the point she wants to vomit. Her eyelid is huge. The doctor called in an antibiotic, but said wait to get it to see if her eye gets better on its own.

This looks to me like a severe infection in there. Is there anything that I can do to ease the pain?
Hi. Nothing to be done here but warm moist compresses to help with the drainage, and she needs the antibiotics. She can have children's Advil for the pain but if this doesn't start to improve in a day or so, she needs reevaluation because this may need lancing to get out all the pus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long should I wait to have it reevaluated? I am attaching a pic. She missed school today and I feel like the school will think she is missing unnecessarily, but I feel like this must be extremely painful.

Actually that doesn't look as bad as I had imagined. For now see how it goes over the next two days. If it's no better by then she needs to be seen again. You're right about these being very painful and it may help to place an eye patch over it with her lid shut