Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My niece is having a 29 lb weight gain after a gall bladder

My niece is having a 29 lb weight gain after a gall bladder surgery. Isn't that extreme?? is there a danger of a heart attack?
Hi--the bulk of the weight gain is from the retained carbon dioxide gas that was used to inflate her abdomen for the surgery. This will dissipate over the course of the next few days and this isn't at all dangerous
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Chip, never thought of that! I will pass it on and do hope you are correct! It does make alot of sense!! She was just having a lot of pain, so much be from that gas and the pressure. Thanks again so much!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can gas from this operation cause a weight gain itself? Isn't gas much lighter than water? I can see swelling but weight too?

Sorry for the delay--yes gas is lighter than water but there's a lot of gas involved here Jane