Dr. D.J.
Dr. D.J., Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

Hi, I believe I tore my lat muscle about 2.5 years ago when

I believe I tore my lat muscle about 2.5 years ago when a gymnastics instructor had sit on the ground (on the front part of my calves) and stretch my arms out with my palms up. He then pushed down on my back and I felt an intense burning pain. I told him to stop, but he held it down for a few more seconds. A couple weeks later, I was stuck in bed for several days because it hurt so much to move, not only in my lats, but all the way down my arms and upper back. For a year, I couldn't fully stretch my arms up or use my arms to lift anything remotely heavy. My arms even hurt when driving, because I had to lift them up for more than a few minutes to hold the steering wheel.

About 6 months ago, this injury flared up again. I have the same symptoms I did before, and they flare up so easily. My arms and back muscles feel strained constantly, because I believe they are trying to make up for my weak lats.

I am wondering if it is normal for healing to take this long, and what I do to speed up recovery.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D.J. replied 5 months ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Customer:

Hi :)

Dr. D.J. :

Latissimus dorsi is a major upper back muscle.

Dr. D.J. :

Any significant injury to this muscle may take long time to heal.

Dr. D.J. :

This muscle is constantly being used which delay the healing process.

Dr. D.J. :

A MRI scan of the back should be considered to assess the injury severity.

Dr. D.J. :

Also there can be problem with the spine like herniated discs causing pressure on the nerves supplying your back and arms.

Dr. D.J. :

So MRI will help to see that also.

Customer:

okay, do I need to go to a hospital for that?

Dr. D.J. :

Ideally, you need intensive physical therapy program to condition the back muscles, and strengthen the weak muscles.

Dr. D.J. :

This is done over several weeks gradually intensifying the exercise program.

Dr. D.J. :

It is better you consult with a spine or back surgeon.

Customer:

do i need to wait until my lats heal for PT?

Dr. D.J. :

He can order the MRI and set up the physical therapy program for you.

Dr. D.J. :

Not necessary to wait.

Dr. D.J. :

You an start the process now.

Customer:

okay, thank you :)

Customer:

actually i have one more question

Dr. D.J. :

go ahead

Customer:

i did PT before, and it actually flared up injury a LOT. was it because the therapist did not understand the gravity of the injury? the thing is, i don't always feel the pain right away...i can feel my muscles being strained, but then the pain hits really hard later. do you know why that is?

Dr. D.J. :

Probably.

Dr. D.J. :

I will suggest the MRI scan first with the specialist before starting PT.

Customer:

okay, thanks so much!

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J., Board Certified MD
Experience: MD