Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

NURSE MILLI ONLY-: Can you help me interpret these test r

Customer Question

NURSE MILLI ONLY-:
Can you help me interpret these test results?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 3 years ago.
Hi there! This is actually GOOD NEWS!!! Just as I had suspected...degenerative arthritis. -which is a normal part of the aging process. However, yours is classified as 'severe' plus you have a few other goodies in the mix as well (such as synovitis etc). Combined, these can really cause you to have some really painful days indeed. Joint effusion - swelling around the joint (from the inflammation). Synovitis is inflammation of the joint lining - this part may come and go. When you have a flair up, this could be an onset of the synovitis. The tendon tear must have been small enough to not warrant surgery. Sometimes the MD will just treat the tear with anti-inflammatory meds and rest and the tear will heal itself over time - and most times the cause is unknown. Surgery for a small tear would be like putting out a burning leaf with a fire truck (overkill). Overall, looks like a lot of degenerative changes/arthritis, and just an overall painful chronic process if not kept under control..I bet you can agree. The main thing here is that we now know that nothing is going on that needs surgery to fix to prevent further damage (at least not now anyway). And we also know what we are dealing with and to what degree. And I also agree with a more aggressive pain management program, keep those steroid injections down to a minimum to prevent the 'bad things' that happen from overuse of steroids (thinning bones, etc), and the exercising/gentle strengthening is also a great idea. Most people with this kind of MRI report would think that exercise or the like would be detrimental more than anything but what will actually happen is *over time*, you will gain strength in the muscles that surround and support your shoulder joint and the muscles will support you and help you more than any sling or brace or pillow or wedge that you can get. Of course, this will happen over time and not within the first couple of monhts but just know that you will be working toward greater results. Thank you so very very much in letting me in on your MRI report and for allowing me to help you through all of this. I know it helps to just have someone to bounce thoughts and ideas off of and I'm honored to be part of the process.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so very much for the kind and knowledgeable words--they help me more than i can express.....I MIGHT need surgery down the road, but this is far from certain(acc. to the Ortho)-so i guess my next step is/are these darned exercises(you should SEE 'em-they will take AGES to do-and i'm to do 'em 2X a day, 5 days a week!!)..You could not have been more correct when you said it sounded counter-intuitive to "do exercises...."And thank you for letting me know that the pain from them may last months before i actually notice a diff in the pain of the "degeneration...."

I was SO lucky to find YOU, Nurse Milli....and you will be in my prayers every night from now on.

Thank you Madeleine. I can accept all the prayers I can get. You just keep up your spirit and spunk. You will get through the exercises. Once you begin to see the benefit, you will be more encouraged to do them and continue with them. It's almost like losing weight....once you start to see the scales moving and your clothes fitting better, you gain momentum to stay with it even though cutting back on food is not comfortable. We are all designed that way...if it's not comfortable/comforting, and it deals with change (whether it be a change in routine or a change period)...we typically as human adults don't want it. However, you are open minded enough to make this work. And yes, you will have pain at first. You might even think of giving in the pain and stopping. BUT DON'T. Just make sure you ice afterwards if needed and take your pain meds or anti-inflammatories WELL before you start to exercise (this will take the edge off of it). And hey, no surgery right now (if ever). That's GREAT!!! PT or rehab from surgery would have been much worse.