Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

I am having a kind of a muffled sound in my ears> This has

I am having a kind of a muffled sound in my ears> This has been going on for about a week.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The most common causes of muffled sound in ear are:allergies,cold or sinus infections.Due to obstruction of eustachian tube(a connection between middle ear & back of nose),the pressure between middle & inner ear gets imbalanced and causes such symptoms.

Following will help you greatly:

-You should swallow more often when you chew gum.

-Swallowing activates the muscle that opens the Eustachian tube.

-Another way is:Pinch your nostrils shut.Then take a mouthful of air.Now force the air into the back of your nose as if you were trying to blow your thumb and fingers off your nostrils.This will unplug your ears.

Also you need to consult your ENT doctor for tests like:Audiogram, ABR or auditory brain response, acoustic reflex test or tympanogram

Oral decongestants,nasal sprays,topical nasal steroids & anti histaminic medications may then be prescribed by your doctor accordingly.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert