Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

I have been experiencing pain on the left side of my head.

I have been experiencing pain on the left side of my head. This has been happening since last year and it has gotten worse over the months. I am not stressing nor am I angry often. 9 out of 10 times when I hold my cell phone close to my left ear or put it on my ear, it instantly starts to hurt. The pain starts there and then travels to my eye, nose, jaw, neck and forehead. Keep in mind that this occurs on the left side of my head. It rarely happens on the right side. I also experience like slight static sounds in both ears that lasts a few seconds. In my left ear, I frequently hear a throbbing/heartbeat sound. It is very painful, tiring and frustrating. I am tired of this and want to know what is the problem so that I can get the necessary treatment that I need.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 8 months ago.
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions

The symptoms you have described can be due to a condition called trigeminal neuralgia.Another possibility is of migraine or stress headache.

Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic pain condition that affects the trigeminal nerve, which carries sensation from your face to your brain.
It occurs when the trigeminal nerve is pinched or damaged.The pressure on the trigeminal nerve causes uncontrollable pain signals to travel along the nerve to your face, resulting in the pain.

Migraine is a form of vascular headache and is by high stress periods,hormonal changes,irregular sleep,food habits,bad lifestyles etc..There can be various triggering agents.

You need following tests:

-CT scan of head
-MRI scan of head
-Blood tests
-Lumbar puncture (spinal tap)

Treatment will be done according to cause. So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your neurologist to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hello Dr. Robert.

I am sorry for replying so late. I needed time to let what you said sink in. What would happen if this is left untreated? I asked this because I don't have insurance at the moment and I am pretty sure that it will be too expensive to pay out of pocket.

Dear XXXXXrice,
Thank you for replying back.

It depends on the cause that if it is left untreated what complications can occur.

In broad terms,this does not seem to be dangerous or life threatening but if left untreated the severity of pain & frequency of pain can increase.

Not all the tests are required,after examination only some of rgese above described tests will be required accordingly.

Till you get consultation with your doctor,you can take tab.Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Doctor,

Right now as we speak my head is KILLING me and it's just on the left side. It feels so heavy and I can hear the throbbing in my ear and I can hardly keep my eyes open. I layed down hoping that the pain will reduce but it made it worse. Are there any herbs that can help treat this? I stay away from over the counter medicine because I don't want that in my system. I am really considering going to the ER but I am not sure if this is a serious emergency.

Dear XXXXXrice,
Thank you for replying back.

Yes,I think you should go to ER now.

The severe pain you are having can be due to trigeminal neuralgia or due to migraine attack.

There is no proven herbal treatment to cure such severe headache.There are various over the counter supplements available but there is no credible medical evidence that the supplements are safe, effective, and perform the way they claim.

So I advice you to go to ER so that you can have tests to know the underlying cause & hence the treatment accordingly.

Till then over the counter medication is option as described above.It will help you greatly to provide relief from this severe pain.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr.Robert

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thank you kindly for your help. I will visit my local ER next week. Have a wonderful day.