Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

My husband has a scab on his penis. He said its been there

My husband has a scab on his penis. He said its been there about 2 weeks. We don't have sex on a regular basis and our marriage has been very rocky for about a year and a half. He didn't tell me about this scab until 3 days ago and I had to fight with him to go to the doctor. He is going today, but he doesnt want me to go with him. I brought up the possibility of an STD, and he said not unless it can stay dormant for over 4 years. We have been married for 3 years. He claims he's never cheated. My question is this, What is the likely hood of a painful, scab being a non STD and if it is a STD, can any stay dormant for 4 years before initial outbreak? He says this is the first time he's had anything like this.
Hello
Actually, you can get a herpes infection when you are younger and it may be dormant for many many years. Other people get recurrent outbreaks.
There is no way to find out how old it was unless he had STD testing right before you are married- because once you are positive for the antibodes, you are always positive.
So, this is not evidence that he had a recent tryst..

I hope that this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
If you need clarification, use reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He says he has never had anything like this scab before. If he did get it when he was younger, wouldn't he have had an initial outbreak then? If this is the first outbreak, then would it be right to assume this is a recent acquisition?
not everybody has an initial outbreak.
In fact, sometimes the lesions are so small or unnoticeable, that the CDC estimates 81.1% of infected individuals remain unaware of their infection.
It is very very possible that he had this a very long time ago...

I hope that this helped.

If you need clarification, use reply.
Hi it appears that our QA didn't close properly.
Did I provide you with excellent service or did you need clarification? :-)?