Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I tripped while running on something sticking out of the ground

I tripped while running on something sticking out of the ground years go and hurt the end of my second to last toe...kinda like the top corner side facing my pinkie toe. At the time it was just bruised and a little swollen, it healed and since then had always been VERY painful to touch.... when my feet are cold I notice that toe is usually warm. It looks normal, and I can freely clench my toes with no pain. I instinctively walk in a way that doesn't hurt that toe now, and don't wear any heels, but now I am getting sharp pains from the toe, in the corner that it hurts. It can keep me from sleeping all night it is so painful. Whats wrong and how do i fix it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Hi--you may have had a small fracture when this happened and now you may have a neuroma--a swelling and inflammation of a nerve. You need an MRI of the foot to look for that and a cortisone injection may help but you may need surgery to remove it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I didn't used to get these sharp pains, and they are comming more often. Do you think its going to continue to get worse? If that is whats wrong is there any chance it will get better on its own?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
It might get better with just using antiinflammatories like ibuprofen and these neuromas grow slowly and can start causing symptoms long after the injury.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.... I don't have insurance so do you have any advice on how to ease the pain. I can't sleep and have taken Ibuprofen, but it hasn't helped now or in the past.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Sarah--it can help for now either to wear flat bottomed shoes or to tape the toe to its neighboring toe or both. Topical capsaicin cream may help too
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I only wear flat bottom shoes now, the pain seems to be completely random and nothing I can do about it... I get these sharp pains, sometimes seconds apart, sometimes minutes apart. Sometimes it lasts all day but only every few hours for a few minutes, and sometimes like now I'm trying to sleep but cant because I've had these sharp pains every 30 seconds to two minutes for 4 hours now. Sometimes I can feel it shoot up the back of my leg, its weird. I have been off of my feet all day and have not touched the toe, its just random it seems.... but when its preventing me from sleeping or even thinking straight its serious problem that I can't get treated seriously for at the ER and don't have insurance to get it treatedd :( Thanks you for your quick response, if you think of anything else to help ease my pain or anything please let me know

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Sorry you're having this problem Sarah but the ER wouldn't be the way to deal with this. You need the MRI but I guess that will have to wait. Sorry I don't have any real solutions for you but my hands are tied
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice