Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi. How would a combination of exercise and heat induced dehydration

Hi. How would a combination of exercise and heat induced dehydration during PMS (7 days before menstrating ) effect a blood/alcohol concentrate reading? (Brac test)
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 10 months ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

are you asking in general or about a specific situation?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if it is a specific situation please provide the details

Customer:

Yes.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

is it about a specific situation?

Customer:

I work in a costume(mascot) under extreme conditions

Customer:

yes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Customer:

I work as a mascot

Dr. P. Jyoti :

did you have an alcohol test?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

right after work

Customer:

I was extremely dehydrated and

Customer:

had just exercised for 5 hours in a very

Customer:

hot costume.

Customer:

I was in my PMS cycle 7 days before menstration

Customer:

how did this effect the BRAC test I took 2 hours after

Customer:

exrsice and heat induced

Customer:

dehydration?

Customer:

I drank one long island tea right after work..nursed it for 2 hours

Customer:

then took a test

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, both exercise and dehydration would tend to increase the alcohol concentration

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but this would not help you legally or in your employment status

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is because even after exercise or dehydration you are still expected to have alcohol levels below the limits

Dr. P. Jyoti :

exercise or dehydration would not allow you to have levels above the limits

Customer:

I understand that.

Customer:

I didn't know that it effect the blood at the time

Dr. P. Jyoti :

from a personal point, you can understand that that was probably what caused you to go over the limit

Customer:

I just wanted to know how it would effect the blood concentrate level

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but as far as legal or employment issues are concerned it will not count as an excuse

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok i understand

Customer:

I understand

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it would increase the alcohol level

Dr. P. Jyoti :

that is what caused you to have a higher alcohol limit with even a small consumption

Dr. P. Jyoti :

sorry for that - you were just unlucky in this i guess

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

Yes. I still feel this is unanswered. I'm not asking for your legal opinion on how you think the legal system or my job will view it. you are not a lawyer. I am asking medicaly, how does heat and exercise induced dehydration scientificly cause the blood alcohol level to increase? And can PMS also effect it?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok i will give you the medical answer

Customer:

thank you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

heat and exercise both cause blood plasma levels to fall

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the volume of blood falls

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will increase the alcohol concentration as there will be more volume of alcohol in relation to the amount of plasma in the blood

Dr. P. Jyoti :

at the same time urinary output will also be decreased

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will further decrease the metabolism of alcohol

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this causes the alcohol concentration to go up with dehydration and exercise

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the menstrual cycle though has no effect on this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions? any clarifications?

Customer:

That is fine. Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Thanks.

Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.