Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

I have been taking Buspar for 6 weeks now for anxiety (panic

I have been taking Buspar for 6 weeks now for anxiety (panic attacks). My dosage is 15mg in am, 15mg in pm. My panic attacks are gone, but now I feel differently. After taking the morning dose I feel drowsy, feel like i have to force myself to function, don't want to deal with anything or anybody...maybe depression??
Lately and tonight, especially, when it was time for my evening dose I felt good, a calmness. I didn't want to take it. I haven't been sleeping well while taking it, either.
I will talk to my doctor, but could I skip the dose tonight and see how I feel, or perhaps try half a dosage? I feel if it wears off and the symptoms get worse, then it must help. But if it wears off and I feel better then is it really helping or causing depression? I am tired of feeling bad.
I'm a 56 yr old female.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 9 months ago.

Dr. Vikas :

Dr. Vikas :

The usual dosage range of Buspar is from 20-30 mg per day.

Dr. Vikas :

and the maximum dose is generally 60 mg per day.

Dr. Vikas :

As you are on 15 mg twice a day and if your symptoms are under control, reducing the dose to 15 mg per day can be tried in my view.

Dr. Vikas :

Buspar can cause drowsiness as a side effect and reducing the dose should help in controlling this side effect too.

Dr. Vikas :

It does not cause depression by itself.

Dr. Vikas :

If you are feeling bad / sad, in addition to Buspar, you can also try psychotherapy if you have not tried it earlier.

Dr. Vikas :

You can try free on line Cognitive Behavior therapy by registering yourself on this website.

Dr. Vikas :

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.
If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.