911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician

I had sudden onset diarrhea (only once a day) about 3-5 days

I had sudden onset diarrhea (only once a day) about 3-5 days apart w/normal bowel movements in between about once a day. The diarrhea comes on suddenly and is totally liquid and I cannot hold it in and often barely make it. This has been going on for several months with sometimes a couple of weeks in between loose bowel movements. Its getting very tiring since I never know when it will hit. Any ideas??
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 8 months ago.

911Doctor :

I'd be happy to talk to you about this, but the answer is going to come from a doctor who will do stool samples, labs, and may need to do scans or endoscopies to get to the cause of this. would you like to continue?

Customer:

So there's no easy answer? I just really need to check in with my physician about it?

911Doctor :

no, no easy answer to this...

911Doctor :

sorry, if you wish me to open the question for others will do...

911Doctor :

but this is now on a recurrent/chronic issue

911Doctor :

and the possible causes of this type of diarrhea

911Doctor :

now include parasitic infection (giardia for instance)

Customer:

I'd like any information anyone has about it. It has happened for several years but maybe only once every few months. It happened last friday and today.

911Doctor :

but also such things as Chron's disease or ulcerative colitis

911Doctor :

well I can certainly provide that for you if you wish

Customer:

Yes please

911Doctor :

okay,

911Doctor :

so to start, here is a good link on DIARRHEA in general, it's the mayo clinic, it's easy to read and very thorough

911Doctor :

a good way to understand watery stool / diarrhea is to realize that in order to have formed stool the gi tract, the colon (large intestine) need to be functioning properly to absorb water out of the stool as it passed through

911Doctor :

when anything interrrupts this process (viral food poisoning, bacterial diarrhea, protozoal diarrhea, or inflammation of the bowel (inflammatory bowel disease)) then the water that would normally be absorbed is passed through making the stool loose and watery

911Doctor :

some infections are immediate (staphlococcal food poisoning for instance)

911Doctor :

and some take a few weeks to have the effect (Giardiasis)

Customer:

I always read that Diarrhea happens several times a day. This is only once every few days or few weeks/months.

911Doctor :

you are speaking of the common forms of diarrhea... food poisoning, gastroenteritis and the like

911Doctor :

which is why I said to begin with that your answer will need testing and a doctor's visit

911Doctor :

because what is going on with you is not the typical story for diarrhea

911Doctor :

it is episodic

911Doctor :

and other than being annoying, does not seem to be accompanied by other symptoms

911Doctor :

so this is not a common diarrhea.... this is a puzzle to be sure

Customer:

Its never accompanied with other symptoms. Alright, thank you. I'll investigate it more with my dr. Thank you for your help!

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

you are most welcome....

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

911Doctor :

and

911Doctor :

can you see the links I sent above in the body of the answewr?

911Doctor :

'answer'?

Customer:

No, I think that's all. Yes, I pulled up the Mayo Clinic link. I'll look closer at that. Thanks!!

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician