Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

WANT TO QUIT USING METH,BUT EVERY TIME IT PHYSICALLY HURTS

Customer Question

WANT TO QUIT USING METH,BUT EVERY TIME IT PHYSICALLY HURTS SO BAD THAT FORCES ME BACK TO USING.IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN TAKE THAT WONT MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I HAVE THE FLU?
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately, there is no over-the-counter medication, treatment or home remedy that is going to significantly help with these withdrawal symptoms.

Quitting methamphetamine use can be difficult by yourself. You really should seek medical detox treatment to help improve your chances of getting off this drug permanently.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I HAVE QUIT BEFORE,FOR YEARS AT A TIME,I DON'T HAVE TIME TO ADMIT MYSELF TO A PROGRAM AND STILL RUN A BUSINESS,GUESS I WILL CONTINUE.THANKS,BUT NOT THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR

I believe that you may have misunderstood my initial answer. There are prescription medications that your physician or a physician with experience in treating drug withdrawal could prescribe. This does not necessarily require an inpatient rehab program.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

What are some of the medications, I assume you understood I work for myself and doctor visits and expensive meds are not within my budget, but then again neither is the other.I just know that I want to break the habit without taking a nap for the next two weeks.I run a demanding business and cant afford to lose any business.if you cant say, I understand, but its nice to know there is something that can be prescribed that will keep me from feeling like mortal hell for 2 weeks

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 months ago.
wo8o1mhf, First I want to praise you for wanting to get off the meth as it does so many awful things to your body. I understand the cost issue as you mention as well. I do support the family physician who responded first to your question in that there is help available. My suggestion from a nursing standpoint would be to contact a physician who is understands addictions & ask about outpatient treatment. You know that it will take a little time to wean off the meth but you will save your life by getting off the meth. Be willing to work with them as they are the experts on this. BE sure they have a support team or person in place that you can talk to as needed. I know you can do this. I am not familiar with the exact names of the medications that are used but there are some available. Keep in mind that these medications may only need to be used for the time it takes to get your body off the meth and stable. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am supportive of your desire to get off the meth.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok going on second week clean.I would almost do anything to quit having night sweats and to have a solid nights sleep.I have 100% quit meth going on 2 weeks, first few days were the worst, but days are getting better

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 months ago.
I am so proud of you! Have you thought about using melatonin for sleep? It is an herb that gives your body the melatonin that it needs to help you sleep. THe body makes melantonin so anything that you don't need, you will pee off.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thinking of just downing a 6 pack lol. Thank you for your support.will see about the melotonia if the drinks dont work