911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a rare neurodegenerative

Customer Question

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a rare neurodegenerative disease that begins with loss of voluntary motor function and progresses to the inability to communicate, swallow, or breathe unaided. There is NO cure for ALS. Because of that, an online community is dedicated for patients to share non-FDA approved drugs and alternative medicines to each other. What might be the ethical dilemma in this case study?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Not sure if I understand the question... What case study?

911Doctor :

if the question is about an ethical dillemma surrounding the support group and it's sharing of non-FDA approved treatments

911Doctor :

then one ethical dilemma is that in an online community with no way to check on efficacy and safety of novel treatments there could be harm done by touted 'cures'.....

911Doctor :

in other words

911Doctor :

some of the experimental treatments could harm or kill patients in search of a cure

911Doctor :

and such ALS is such a terrible disease, there would be very little restraint in most folks in the community

911Doctor :

they would, in other words, 'try anything'.... and this would open the door not just for bad drugs, but for people trying to make a quick buck by selling snake oil

911Doctor :

make sense/

911Doctor :

?

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

Customer:

sorry i was out, I'm reading your reply right now

911Doctor :

ok

Customer:

this is a question from my assignment. I can't really tell what case study that the assignment want

911Doctor :

if this is all you have they are asking about the online community..

911Doctor :

if they are asking you to design a case study I don't know what they are asking

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

Customer:

hold on

911Doctor :

ok

Customer:

I think the case study is just about the part: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a rare neurodegenerative disease that begins with loss of voluntary motor function and progresses to the inability to communicate, swallow, or breathe unaided. There is NO cure for ALS. Because of that, an online community is dedicated for patients to share non-FDA approved drugs and alternative medicines to each other.

Customer:

ok thx I'm kind of what you are saying

911Doctor :

no, a case study is a review of a particular medical case or a series of similar cases in order to try and get at a new discovery or issue....

911Doctor :

I think it's simply a poorly worded question

911Doctor :

in other words, in this question there is no 'case study' as doctors would talk about it... I think they are asking about 'in this particular case what is the potential ethical dilemma'.... that's the best way I can understand it.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

ya..that's why I don't even get the question too..

911Doctor :

that's my best guess... doesn't make sense otherwise... lots of 'ethical issues' here....

Customer:

ya i think is particular case too

911Doctor :

lots of potential for abuse of ALS patients

911Doctor :

with false hopes

911Doctor :

or scam medicines

911Doctor :

the online community sounds like a good idea, but it would likely do more harm than good

911Doctor :

and be a great place for folks to scam people who are dying

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

ok, thanks for helping me

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician