Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I dont think I followed the directions accurately. I swiped

I don't think I followed the directions accurately. I swiped my top gum on the right side and lower gum on the right side from back to front. Should I get another test to make sure?
Hi--if you've asked a question about this before it isn't available to me. What is the situation and what test are your referring to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The oraquick HIV test

OK Tim--and what was the reading and when was your last episode of unprotected sex?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The reading was negative. I haven't had unprotected sex in about 7 years. I found out recently the person I had unprotected sex with 7 years ago was HIV positive and may have been at the time I was having sex with him. I haven't been tested since.

OK. Really no problem with the way you did the test and since it's negative I'm certain that your blood screen will also be negative.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. I just wanted to make sure that since I didn't go the whole way around to the left side that it wouldn't make a difference with the results.

No--that wouldn't invalidate the test--you can bank on the negative being a true negative
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you!

Any time, Tim