911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Have had a cold about 5 days. It seems to be getting worst

Have had a cold about 5 days. It seems to be getting worst now with a fever and chills. Do I need an antibiotic?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 10 months ago.

911Doctor :

it is likely you might.

911Doctor :

important to get checked.

911Doctor :

you may simply have a sinus infection at this point

911Doctor :

or this could be developing into pneumonia

911Doctor :

a chest xray and good exam will tell the tale

911Doctor :

can you get in to see a physician?

911Doctor :

with fever and chills my concern would be for an early pneumonia (lung infection)

911Doctor :

though a sinus infection is certainly possible

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: No i am on the road in another conutry
911Doctor :

I see

911Doctor :

do you have any chronic medical conditions such as diabetes or heart issues?

911Doctor :

are you in the Caymans?

Customer: I have levaquin will that work
911Doctor :

levaquin is not without it's risks but it sounds like you have taken it before

911Doctor :

it is a fine antibiotic choice for upper respiratory infections

911Doctor :

and if you have sinusitis or an early pneumonia it would be reasonable to try this

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: No
Customer: No , I am in the caymans
911Doctor :

i seee

911Doctor :

see

911Doctor :

any way to contact your doctor back home?

Customer: No
911Doctor :

and also, I'm not clear... have you taken levaquin before?

Customer: Yes
911Doctor :

okay good, that takes the possibility of an acute allergic reaction to it off the table

911Doctor :

so, your choice, I think it would be reasonable to take this

911Doctor :

and to get a message to your doctors office telling them about your situation

911Doctor :

when you can tomorrow

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: Ok
911Doctor :

also, it would be reasonable to ask around where you are staying about acute medical care available in case you get worse while you are there.

911Doctor :

do you have any further questions about this for me today/

911Doctor :

?

Customer: No thank you!
911Doctor :

great

911Doctor :

hope you feel better soon

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.