Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hello. I have been taking Lyrica for 2+ years and want to go

Hello. I have been taking Lyrica for 2+ years and want to go off due due to it's cost. Is there anything else I could take that would be comprible and how can I handle the insomnia that will probably result?Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Hi--why are you taking the Lyrica and have you had any other medication for the same reason?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Fibromyalgia....No other meds

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Well, neurontin is a first cousin of Lyrica and generic so it would definitely be cheaper. Elavil and Pamelor are different medications that might help and also would be cheaper. As far as the insomnia, Restoril is a realitively inexpensive sleeping aid
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Is restoril or pamelor addictive? Would neurontin work the same and what about muscle relaxers?Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Neurontin could work just as well as Lyrica and if sleeping medications are only used for a short time they aren't habit forming. Melatonin and valerian are natural non-habit forming sleep aids too. Muscle relaxers like Flexeril could also help
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

What about side effects with neurontin and is it expensive?Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. If you didn't have side effects with Lyrica there shouldn't be any with neurontin and you can check with your pharmacy about the cost, but because you can get it in generic form it should be much less expensive
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks What is the normal dose for bipolar vrs fibromyalgia for neurontin?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
900 to up to 1800 mg a day in divided doses for both
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi....How about seraquel?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 9 months ago.
It's generic and can be used for sleep
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)