Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I was on Augmentin like 3 weeks ago for a sinus infection.

I was on Augmentin like 3 weeks ago for a sinus infection. I wasn't coughing really at all during it. I came off of it after 10 days feeling better.

Now, I have a cough and drainage (I feel it in my throat and in my chest), but I have no cold symptoms. I apparently have no allergies (I was tested when I moved to Texas from Ohio. I was allergic to practically everything there....and nothing here).

I'm wondering what this is related to. Could it be my asthma? This drainage and cough is affecting my breathing making it difficult sometimes.

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Did you have asthma before?

Do you use any regular medicine?

Did you have any test before starting or after finishing the course of Augmentin?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had asthma for awhile, yes. I take albuterol for rescue purposes, and I'm supposed to take singulair but haven't for awhile - couldn't afford it.

No tests.
Did you try albuterol recently?

If so, did it make any change in symptom?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took it about two hours ago and it did help some. I still had the drainage, but the coughing died down a lot. It's starting back up though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I took it 2 hours ago and it did help some with the cough, but there's still drainage.
Hello Elyse,

Thank you for the information,

The symptoms can be due to asthma.

There can be remission, exacerbation of asthma.

You can require prophylactic asthma preventer inhaler like singulair regularly.

Albuterol can reduce the spasm and can be continued.

Infection can precipitate asthma symptom.

Though you have finished Augmentin recently, there can be different infection in the chest/ lungs too.

However you will need some tests now to know the status.

Chest X-ray, lung function test, blood test, sinus scan may be needed according to the assessment of the doctor.

I feel you will need a repeat evaluation by doctor to have new plan of treatment.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!