Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

Do I add anything in the water? How many times a day? Where

Do I add anything in the water? How many times a day? Where can I find one of these pans?

Customer: Why does the boil leave a hole when it drains? It looks pretty big and deep! Should I put the antibiotic ointment in the opening of the boil?how long does it take to heal? I'm hurting so bad and desperate for this to end. I am a college student and I work so I want to get to a comfortable area in my daily life without this boil. I am breaking out with 5 more around that area! Thank you!
Chris C. :

The boil is much like a blister you would get on your hands in that it contains fluid so when it drains it leaves a pocket or "hole".

Chris C. :

This will reduce over time by itself and will scar over.

Chris C. :

You should not put any ointment on the opening because it will close it off. This causes the area to hold moisture in and the can cause a more severe infection.

Chris C. :

Moisture and heat will be held in since these ointments are basically vaseline with a small amount of antibiotic in them.

Chris C. :

Moisture and heat are the two things you want to avoid in order to allow the area to heal.

Chris C. :

I understand that this can be difficult to deal with but given time they will heal.

Chris C. :

The sitz bath will keep the area clean and then you should keep it as dry as possible.

Customer: My goodness that is what the Dr. Told me to do but I will take the sitz bath and keep it dry. Thank you so much
Chris C. :

You are very welcome! Thanks for your question. Hang in there it will get better! If you don't mine please rate my service before you leave today so I get credit for my time. If you have any more questions please come back.