Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

I had a MRSA infection 6 weeks ago and I have been very nervous

I had a MRSA infection 6 weeks ago and I have been very nervous about getting more. Am I more susceptible to getting more MRSA infections because I have already had one and is there anything I can do aside from good hand hygiene to prevent a new infection?
Customer Thank you for asking your questions. Good handwashing is key to infection prevention. Besides that, factors that can increase your risk of another MRSA infection would be your overall health as well. If you become overly tired or stressed and do not take care of yourself, you could set your body up for another infection. Also keep in mind that if you are around someone who has MRSA or a staph infection that would also put you at risk of having another infection. Be sure to take all of the antibiotics as prescribed. Is the wound area healing? Did they schedule a recheck of the area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was given an "ok" from my PCP and the ENT. The area is pretty well healed and I continue to put Bactroban on it because when I stop it seems to get red again. It was a really horrible experience and the antibiotics almost put me into kidney failure so I am terrified of it coming back!

I am glad that it is healing. Once the antibiotics were done, did your kidney function return? once it has healed completely, you are at about the same risk level as others you age unless you have other health issues such as diabetes, circulation issues, obesity, etc. If you start to get an area that red or sore or you get a cut or scratch, you will want to watch it closely for infection but if you put bactroban on it and keep the area clean it should be okay. Have I answered your questions to your satisfaction or do you have more questions? I am here to help you.
Hello Jaime, I just wanted to touch base with you and see how you are doing. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I am here to help you.

Susan RN