911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I had my gallbladder taken out the end of April. Another doctor

Customer Question

I had my gallbladder taken out the end of April. Another doctor ordered a metabolic panel in June and found my liver enzymes were elevated. After repeat testing showing the same, I was referred to a gastroenterologist. Another round of testing showed even more elevations of the enzymes. I just had an MRCP which showed the hepatic duct is dilated to 12mm. Both the common and pancreatic ducts are minimally dilated. No masses, stones, etc., were visualized. If the duct is dilated due to a retained stone, wouldn't it show up on the MRCP? My working diagnosis was to rule out a retained stone.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 9 months ago.

911Doctor :

This is not a retained stone

911Doctor :

the hepatic duct, after gall bladder surgery

911Doctor :

will be dilated

911Doctor :

and this is considered to be normal

911Doctor :

and yes,

911Doctor :

the ERCP would have been the test of choice to find a retainted stone

911Doctor :

so a retainted stone is NOT the cause of the elevation in your liver enzymes

911Doctor :

and your doctor may or may not choose, at this point, to do further testing to determine the cause of your elevated liver enzymes

911Doctor :

chances are they are mildly elevated

911Doctor :

and since a retained stone has been ruled out

911Doctor :

nothing further will be needed

911Doctor :

but this will be up to your doctor

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

Best

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.