911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Hello. I suffer from OCD and have a lot of worries about

Hello.

I suffer from OCD and have a lot of worries about my health and my ultimate fear is HIV. I apologize for any stupid questions.

I was walking down the street when a person bumped into me and I felt something wet on my arm (I was wearing a t-shirt). When I looked at my arm, I had lots of red spots on it that could easily look like blood. Because of my OCD, my skin is often dry and cracked. If the red spots on my arm were blood from an HIV+ person, is this a risk situation and would I need testing? This episode is really killing me and ruining further progress in my treatment for OCD.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 10 months ago.

911Doctor :

No

911Doctor :

you are not at risk

911Doctor :

you need to stop worrying about this

911Doctor :

if this WERE blood

911Doctor :

which is very hard to imagine

911Doctor :

the person whose blood it was would need to be VERY ill with HIV

911Doctor :

and blood would need to hit your skin where it was open and cracked

911Doctor :

and then you would simply need to be very unlucky indeed

911Doctor :

there is absolutely no reason for you to worry about this

911Doctor :

but I suspect you understand that this is part of your OCD

911Doctor :

and not rational

911Doctor :

if you can understand that

911Doctor :

then maybe you can stop worrying about this

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Deep down I understand that it is my OCD talking and I really will try to stop worrying about it. It is just hard at times.
I appreciate your answer.

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

911Doctor :

the risk of contracting HIV is really very proportional to mucous membrane exposure

911Doctor :

for example

911Doctor :

if I, as a doctor, have an HIV patient who bleeds on me a small bit

911Doctor :

I am not worried at all

911Doctor :

if this same patient spits at me I am still not worried

911Doctor :

if I get stuck with a needle that has been used on this patient I am a bit worried

911Doctor :

is the needle solid or hollow?

911Doctor :

if solid I am not worried

911Doctor :

if it is hollow and has been used to draw blood from the HIV patient then I am a bit concerned

911Doctor :

and I ask if the HIV patient is ill or not

911Doctor :

and if not ill I am not so worried

911Doctor :

if ill I want to know their 'viral load'

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX really comforting to read.

911Doctor :

and then I make a decision about whether to take medicines which might prevent infection with HIV

911Doctor :

but if I'm walking down the street

911Doctor :

and some kind of fluid hits me

911Doctor :

and I think it might be blood

911Doctor :

me

911Doctor :

as a physician

911Doctor :

I am not, at all, worried about this incident

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Ok. Thank you again, it has made me calm down a bit :)

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician