911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I had an abortion in 2008 and then went on birth control immediately

I had an abortion in 2008 and then went on birth control immediately after until 2011. While on birth control my period was much lighter than before the abortion. After stopping birth control, it remained light. I didn't worry because I knew it could take some time for it to return to normal. However, now it is still very light. It comes regularly each month but the first day is usually light with red blood only present when wiping. The next day is slightly heavier but I can go all day without needing to change a pad. The remaining days are light with brown blood that again don't fill a pad. Everything I've researched and heard said a light period is normal if it comes on time. However, now my husband and I are trying to conceive and nothing is happening. Is this really normal or did the abortion and subsequent birth control somehow mess up my cycle and natural fertility?

911Doctor :

I agree that there is not much to be made in the change of consistency of your cycles

911Doctor :

How long have you and your husband been trying to conceive?

911Doctor :

to respond, place your cursor in the box below, type, and click reply

Customer: About 6 months. I know they say not to worry unless it's been a year or more of trying. I understand that. I was just wondering if the issues could be related or if it's really just normal to have that kind of change.
911Doctor :

unfortunately with cycles and the like there is no 'normal', especially with your history

911Doctor :

and the fact is that six months IS too early to worry about infertility at this point

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: So there is no real relationship between the two? It's still possible to conceive with such a light monthly period? If so, i guess I won't worry for another 6 months or so. I just wanted to be sure that those events didn't cause an issue
911Doctor :

ovulation and fertility can not be gauged or guessed at based on the consistency and content of your menstrual cycle... I know you are thinking about possible reasons for 6 months of infertility at this point, and my wife and I went through this, just so you know, but it IS possible to overthink and over-worry on this

911Doctor :

yes, absolutely it is possible to conceive. it has nothing to do with how heavy or light your periods are.

911Doctor :

there is no way to be sure that past events aren't impacting you now... no way

911Doctor :

but it is unliekly

911Doctor :

'unlikely'

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: Okay, well that's reassuring for now. I know getting stressed doesn't help and I'm not overly stressed yet I just was becoming curious about that
Customer: Thanks for the advice though