Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

It started

It started with a ripping sensation even a crunch, while getting up from bed. then the pain went away for a short time. now, 3 months later, I have pain in my sternum, kind of on and off but every day. If I press on it, it hurts and even tingles some, almost an itch. It can radiate to my pecs. Now, my lower back aches and there is a tightness under lower ribcage. There has also been heavieness is my eyes. I am not tired but my eyes are. I do need reading glasses now but haven't bought them. .

Hello, welcome to the site!

My name isXXXXX will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Do you take any medication ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Maybe my question was lost. It all started about 3 months ago. While getting up from laying on my back, my chest made a ripping and crunching sound. It felt like I pulled all the muscles in my chest. It seemed to have healed until about 2wks ago when I started having pains in my sternum and pecs. If I push on my sternum area, at the top, middle and below, I have pain then after a few seconds it seems to itch and tingle a bit. As of today, my lower back hurts. I don't smoke, I'm not jaundice, and have not been vomiting. My eyes have been heavy but i'm not tired. I'm 48 and now need reading glasses and I'm nearsighted but haven't bought glasses or addressed that yet, so that may be contributing to why my eyes are heavy. Also, I have been under a lot of stress and my be experience anxiety. Could thid be costcochondritis?

Have you tried anything to ease the pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you kidding? I was looking for a diagnosis. A source of the pain. Is anyone actually reading what I wrote?
I want to help diagnose this, but I need to know if you have tried anything to relieve the pain and if anything relieves it as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, advil helps but doesn't treat the wears off. I do not take any other meds. I thought I gave you some good info. Hope this helps.
The most likely cause of this is costochondritis, which is usually caused by a physical strain or inflammation within the joint. Drugs like Aleve are usually good for this, because the relieve the inflammation as well as the pain. You may need to take them for 4 weeks continuously for the pain to subside. If the pain persists after that, then I would recommend a blood test (complete blood count) and chest x ray to rule out an infection, because an infection within the joint can cause this, but it is rare