dochealey
dochealey, Senior Consultant
Experience:  Physician and Surgeon
4931939

I was closing a door on a barn and a bat brushed up against

I was closing a door on a barn and a bat brushed up against my bare arm. No pain, no stinging just brushed against my arm and then it flew off. Do I need to see a Dr. for rabies treatments I know most bats carry rabies.
Category: Health
Expert:  dochealey replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to justanswer

Have you got any abrasion in the area where the bat brushed your skin?

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Nothing that I can see. But I have been told sometimes you are bit and you don't feel it.

Dear XXXXX
Thanks for your reply.
You need to get prophylaxis only if there is a break in skin like a scratch.If the skin is intact you do not need any treatment.
If the bat has bitten you you would be able to see a bite mark.If it has scratched you , you should see a scratch mark.If these are absent you do need prophylaxis.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

But I have been told sometimes the bat teeth are very small and person may not see any marks or feel anything. Is this possible in North America or is it just something seen with tropical vampire bats?

Thanks for clarification.
If one is unsure about the degree of contact or about skin being broken prophylaxis is to be considered.
You should see a doctor for this and let the doctor decide if you should get prophylaxis or not.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Since today is Saturday, should I go to the ER or wait until Monday?

Dear XXXXX
It is considered to be a medical urgency though not an emergency and therefore you can go on Monday.
In cases where the bat can be caught and submitted for testing person exposed to bat is advised to wait before the results of testing the bat become available and that usually takes 1-2 days.
dochealey, Senior Consultant
Experience: Physician and Surgeon