Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I recently had a fecal impaction. I was scared to death.

Customer Question

I recently had a fecal impaction. I was scared to death. No one was around to help me to the doctor. I managed to pass the fecal matter after massaging it around in my abdomen. Took about 2 hours. I was using HCG drops diet when this happened. Should I have used a colon cleanser before dieting with HCG drops?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 months ago.
Hi--have you ever had that problem before?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Never. It was terrifying because the fecal matter was too large to pass.

OK--no the colon cleanser would have been unnecessary but I'm a bit concerned here. Since this is a change in your bowel movements, unless you've recently had a colonoscopy you need one to rule out colon polyps or even colon cancer
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I am clean for colon polyps or cancer. My colonoscopy was just last year. I am 60 years old. This is the first diet I have tried in my life. HCG drops. I thought maybe it was the drops that cleaned me completely out.

No--not the drops although it's possible that you just weren't getting enough fiber in the diet. I don't see any reason why this will happen again.
Hi--can I ask why the poor service rating? Was there more information you needed?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I thought I sent a reply. Yes I wanted more of an answer. I am a healthy, fit 60 year old woman. I was using the HCG drops to lose a little weight - first diet drops of any kind that I have tried. My body has never had fecal impaction. If it wasn't the drops, what do you think could have caused it? I have never passed that much matter in my entire life.

OK--before that problem when was the last bowel movement you had had? And have you had another movement since?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I was functioning as I normally do with BM every day or 2 days. Since the event, I have been normal.

OK--and we can continue after this if you want. I don't think what you had should be termed a fecal impaction per se since usually with that there has been chronic constipation for some time. Since we've ruled out cancer and colon obstruction I really don't think this will happen again. One possibility here was the diet itself and as I said before, there may not have been enough fiber in it. Let your doctor know about this but really I don't think it's anything serious