911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

my husband has had diarrhea for 5 days. He will not see a dr,

Customer Question

my husband has had diarrhea for 5 days. He will not see a dr, until Monday if he is not better. Our Dr. will not be in until Mon.

besides Imodium, rice, boiled milk, & bananas. what else might help?

In case it is more than a virus, can I give him Avelox 400mg, 1x daily(I have a full rx here)
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

911Doctor :

Do not, please, give avelox.

911Doctor :

If he is dizzy upon standing, has a fever, or has blood in the diarrhea then he needs to go to the hospital.

911Doctor :

In fact, his doctor is likely to send him there on Monday as he will likely need IV rehydration, which is not typically performed in a doctor's office

911Doctor :

The point of the current treatment is to keep fluid going in

911Doctor :

Food is less important, but anything he finds appetizing will be fine

911Doctor :

Fluids should be watered down, or simply water

911Doctor :

as high sugar drinks will worsen the diarrhea

911Doctor :

so water or gatorade at 1/4 strength or something like that

911Doctor :

your husband should try to replace the fluid he is losing in small, frequent quantities

911Doctor :

to respond simply type in the box below and click reply

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

Again, please do not give him antibiotics as they will only confuse the picture, could make him worse, and are rarely indicated in diarrheal illnesses

911Doctor :

if he has blood in the diarrhea, increasing abdominal pain, or if he develops fever

911Doctor :

he needs to go to the ER

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer :

ok. But that is pretty much what we have been doing. any other foods you can recommend?

911Doctor :

it really doesn't have anything to do with foods or diet

911Doctor :

it has to do with the virus or condition that is causing his bowel to fail rto absorb water from the gi tract

911Doctor :

this produces the diarrhea

911Doctor :

so getting the diagnosis is important, and at this point he will need some tests to be done, and may well need more specific medicines

Customer :

should we continue with immodium??

911Doctor :

but it is not his diet that is causing this or making this worse

911Doctor :

yes, does it help at all?

911Doctor :

also, is there any blood in the stool?

Customer :

no, it has not helped. no blood in stool. he is weak, pale. no fever..

911Doctor :

is there a reason you do not wish, or he does not wish, to go to the Emergency Department today? He is 75, he is having symptoms of dehydration, the diarrhea is not abating, and these are all good reasons to be seen today... not Monday.

911Doctor :

As an emergency physician this is my recommendation

911Doctor :

Let's face it, conservative therapy and at-home care has NOT worked

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer :

ok. I think I can coheres him,. to go to ER. thank you.

911Doctor :

no worries...

911Doctor :

be sure to read the link above on diarrhea.... it's very informative and easy to read

911Doctor :

do you have any final questions for me?

Customer :

oh, yes, my hus. just reminded me that when we were in PA 2 wks ago, they recommended we boil our water for three days, as they were working on the water system. Could that have been a problem?

911Doctor :

certainly a possibility.... raises the possibility that this could be a parasitic infection like Giardia.... causes chronic diarrhea but is pretty easy to treat with the proper medicine... yet another reason to get checked sooner rather than later...

Customer :

ok, thanks again!!

911Doctor :

no worries

911Doctor :

happy to help

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. If this answer has been helpful to you please consider leaving positive feedback. Should you require my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc’, and I am usually on the site most days.

Best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FYI- I took hubby to hosp.-did bld. work,=creatine slightly off; cat scan=entire lower int. inflamed. Gave him IV fluid= dehydration-kept him over night=awaiting stool analysis.

thank you again for your advice!

Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.
I am glad you took him. It sounds like he got good care and got appropriate testing. Sounds like his diagnosis is colitis which can often be treated successfully with antibiotics. In any case I'm glad he got proper treatment.

Since this has been a helpful answer for you please do remember to leave positive feedback.

Many thanks.

Best
Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.
how is your husband doing? I hope he is quite a bit better by now.

Best 911doc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HE FEELS GOOD,BUT WEAK AND OUT OF SHAPE. HE IS STILL IN HOSP. BECAUSE HIS ENZYMES ARE STILL ELEVATED (OVER 1100) THEY HAVE DONE CAT; SONO; MRI AND BLOOD WORK DAILY. THE MRI SHOWED A CYST ON THE TAIL OF THE PANCREAS GASTRO HOPING. NUMBERS WILL BE BETTER IN AM

Expert:  911Doctor replied 3 years ago.

I assume this is pancreatitis... perhaps hepatitis... I'm so glad you convinced him to go to the hospital.

Praying for improvement.

best

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, that is the thought, but, there is no pain, nor any other clue.

they have sent him home. his lipase finally came down a bit. peaked at 1900 dropped to 1400 over night. they are following blood work on out patient basis and also want him to follow up on cyst.

thanks for asking!