DrDLove, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years, Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Recently had an STD blood test and the. HSV 2 portion came

Recently had an STD blood test and the. HSV 2 portion came back as 0.9 I was told this was positive by the nurse but everything I read says it's a negative. So what is it??
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

You are correct that the nurse told you the wrong thing. An HSV 2 antibody result is typically reported as an index. An index <1.0 is negative, whereas an index that is >1.0 is positive. In reality, values close to 1.0 are difficult to interpret, so many labs report that a value that is 0.9-1.1 is borderline.

So, at worst, your result is barely in the borderline range, but it clearly is not positive. The current recommendation for a person with a borderline result is to be rechecked after a couple of months, to see if the level of antibodies is increasing and the current test was done early in the disease process. If the repeat test is again borderline, then that person is considered to be negative, as the value is not increasing.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.