Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am having pain in my right wrist. The whole wrist and back

I am having pain in my right wrist. The whole wrist and back of the hand are sore and hurt when held in certain positions. I work on a laptop a lot so I am worried it's carpal tunnel syndrome, although there is none of the numbness associated with carpal tunnel, only soreness. One sure way to make it hurt is to push my fingertips against the edge of a table and push to my left. It also feels somewhat stiff and sore when i flex my hand or stretch my fingers out from each other.

It's been bothering me for a little over a week. I work on a laptop with a touch pad. The pain isn't bad while typing but seems to be aggravated by certain touchpad movements. It seems to be most acute in the tendons that operate my middle finger and ring finger.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I am sorry to hear about your problem. As per symptoms there are two possibilities. This can be carpal tunnel syndrome (less likely) or can be tendinitis (inflammation of the tendons). But don't worry, I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab aleve twice daily, massage of the area with OTC bengay cream and application of heating pad twice daily really helps. You can try the above for three to seven days, hopefully you will feel better soon. If symptoms persist see your doctor but hopefully will not be required. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.