Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and stood up

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and stood up and almost fell. I sat on the bed for a moment and begin to walk but I could not walk straight. It felt like I was drunk and the room was moving rapidly but neither were true. I am a 48 year old female who is experiencing sudden dizziness. What could this be?

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

How are you feeling now?

Do you feel any other symptom?

Do you have any past illness?

How is your blood pressure?

Do you take any medicine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last week I got dizzy at the bank and thought I was going to pass out but I grabbed on to the counter and quickly felt better. (This has never happened before)

Last night when I woke up to use the restroom I almost fell so I sat on the bed for a minute. When I stood up again to walk, I couldn't walk straight and bounced off the wall. This morning I woke up feeling light headed as if I just got off a merry go round. These are sudden symptoms that I have never had. I am in good health, slightly overweight but always have normal blood pressure. I take Prozac.

Thank you Melissa, for the information,

The dizziness can be due to different factors.

There may be dehydration, fall or changes of blood pressure, low glucose etc .

Sometimes, it can be the symptom of a neurological cause like TIA, cerebellar diseases.

Anemia, heart conditions or electrolyte changes can also be factors.

But you are not having any past illness related to heart or blood pressure.

Another common cause is feeling of dizziness from benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

Here you can feel the room spinning.

Canalith repositioning can help to correct it.

I would advise to get an examination by doctor.

Pl take plenty of fluid to keep good hydration, have adequate rest.

You can need a few tests after examination.

I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!