Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

My son has had stomach pain for 4 days now that is quite severe.

My son has had stomach pain for 4 days now that is quite severe. He isn't eating well and is not sleeping well. The pain started in his belly button and has moved to right lower side and at times his back. We have been to the ER. They have done an ultrasound (which couldn't see the appendix) and a Cat Scan which showed nothing except some swollen lymph nodes in his stomach area. He has no fever. Most of his blood labs are normal except for a few that are slightly abnormal and I do mean "slightly". His Neutrophils relative is low, his Lymphocytes relative is high, His Eosinophils relative is high and his Eosinophils Absolute is high but they are not extremely high or low. He has a history of Celiac disease but it has been maintained and under control for over 2 years now. He is not constipated because he is going on a daily basis with no trouble and the scan did not show signs of constipation. ER doctor said it's just a stomach virus but I am concerned it could still be his appendix and just not showing up on the scan... Can it still be his appendix what should I do? I am a nervous wreck over the "swollen" lymph nodes because I had a single swollen lymph node under my arm pit and nothing else and found out it was because of stage 4 breast cancer.. so being told by the dr that he has these enlarged nodes and it's only a virus does not put me at ease by any means. Thanks.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

This can be mesenteric lymphadenitis.

As ultrasound, CT did not show appendicitis, it is unlikely to be the cause.

In mesenteric lymphadenitis of the abdomen there can be pain around the belly button or on right side.

The lymph nodes can get enlarged in the abdomen from an infection.

In viral infection, supportive measures like pain medicine, hydration etc are needed.

In case it is bacterial or parasitic there can be need for antibiotic.

In most cases mesenteric adenitis shows improvement in a few days.

It usually heals up in 2 weeks.

I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are there any follow up steps I should take to make sure the enlarged lymph nodes resolved?

Hello Allison,

Which medicines were prescribed?

When was he last seen by doctor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They didn't prescribe anything. Just told me to give him motrin for pain and a BRAT Diet because they said it is a virus infection that can't be treated with antibiotics. In the ER on Monday night.

If the pain is severe and motrin does not help, then doctor can prescribe antispasmodic medicines.

You can take him to regular pediatrician for a review.

Doctor can repeat an ultrasound examination, blood count after a few weeks to check whether inflammation has resolved.