Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Hi Doctor. Ive been on Xanax XR (1mg, just once in the morning)

Hi Doctor. I've been on Xanax XR (1mg, just once in the morning) for 2 years and 10 months, almost 3 years. It's the only medication I have been taking for anxiety and panic attacks. I am feeling better at the moment and I wish to withdraw from it slowly to avoid side effects. Which procedure should I use to withdraw from it? What would be the withdrawal plan?
I understand your concern and it's my first priority to serve you best.
Firstly as you are planning to taper off your Xanax so it's strongly advised to discuss it with your doctor.
As any medication should be discontinued under a medical supervision.
And a taper off regimen should be advised by your doctor after undergoing a clinical examination.
Your doctor may advise such taper off regimen like
Start gradual reduction in xanax xr dose by starting to take 0.75 mg xanax xr instead of the current 1 mg and continue on it for 1 week , followed by further drop down to 0.5 mg dose and continuing on it for another 1 week and then further drop down to 0.25 mg dose and continuing on it for 1 week and then start taking 0.25 mg dose every alternate day for 10 days and then finally stop the xanax xr completely ,so this way in approximately 31 days ( 3 weeks + 10 days ) you shall be able to successfully come off xanax xr without having developed any untoward withdrawal side effects.
If you develop withdrawal effects like restlessness, insomnia , agitation , craving for intake , tingling sensation then you should discuss it with your doctor.
Your doctor may opt for other medications.
Even a psychotherapy,counselling,meditation,deep breathing exercises may be helpful in your case.

I hope this helps.
Please rate me highly if you are satisfied with our conversation.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you have any further query then we can discuss it as well.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Doctor, thank you for your answer. I am currently in good health and physical condition, exams always coming up with good results.

The withdrawal plan that you mention sounds very good but I still have a doubt because there is no presentation of Xanax XR of 0.75mg and 0.25mg.

Below 1mg, there is only the 0.5mg presentation in the XR version. Taking that into consideration, how could the withdrawal plan work? I know that the extended release tablets work differently than the normal tablets, and I know the extended release ones can't be broken in half.

Thanks for the follow-up.
I understand your concern.
Regular Xanax comes in the following doses: 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, and 2 mg. Extended release (Xanax XR) comes in 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 2 mg, and 3 mg tablets.
You may change from the extended release to the regular one.
Ultimately your aim is to stop taking xanax and follow such taper off regimen as i have mentioned in previous reply..
Other regimen may be advised by your doctor like
You should take 1 mg Xanax XR on alternate days for 1 week then followed by further drop down to 0.5 mg dose and continuing it on every day for another 1 week and then take 0.5 mg on alternate days for 1 week and then slowly taper it off completely.

It's good to consult your doctor as well before tapering off Xanax XR.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.