Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I am a 43 year female, I smoked for 25 years, I no longer smoke.

I am a 43 year female, I smoked for 25 years, I no longer smoke. I quit about 8 months ago. One of the reasons I finally quit was because I was feeling a heaviness in my chest and I was having shortness of breath. I am still experiencing this as if I have continued to smoke. I am concerned that I might have COPD at this point. Hopefully its just in my mind... what should I be looking for besides shortness of breath? Thank you
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you all the assistance you need until you are satisfied, although some ex-smokers experience similar symptoms after they quit smoking . That usually last only few weeks ,not months .

You should contact your doctor immediately to have a proper medical evaluation. COPD could produce additional symptoms besides the ones you have been experiencing like: wheezing, chronic cough, mucus production and/or blue lips and blue fingernail beds.

Your doctor will also need to investigate additional possibilities like :

1- Heart disease( specially the ones that decrease your heart blood flow or reduce the ability of your heart to pump blood through your organs)

2- Lung Masses

3- Lung o airways tract inflammation

4-Pulmonary hypertension( pulmonary artery high blood pressure)

and/or

5- Hiatal Hernia ( in this condition, part of the stomach protrudes into the chest through the diaphragm( a muscle that separates the abdominal organs from the thoracic organs ) )

Your doctor will need to perform additional tests like :

1- Chest X-rays , CT Scan or MRI
2- Blood arterial gases
3- Pulmonary Function tests or spirometry
4-Exercise stress tests

With these tests, Your doctor will be able to determine which of these conditions is producing your symptoms so you can receive an appropriate treatment.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.