Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

6 years ago I was diagnosed with severe gastric paresis with

6 years ago I was diagnosed with severe gastric paresis with a 90 minute laying down emptying scan. I took reglan until I developed ticks. The paresis returned with a vengeance until a doctor told me to be motillium from an overseas pharmacy. It worked for a while but my dr wanted me to be tested so I could get a stimulator. This time it said the 4 hr/standing up test was normal. My dr said that wasn't abnormal depending on different variables. I moved and am trying to find a new gi. This one said that I either had it or not so he is doing another one. What is the true answer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : it sounds to me from your history that you have gastroparesis...
Anthony Bray, MD : Your prior study and response to Reglan would support this diagnosis...
Anthony Bray, MD : sometime erythromycin can be helpful for this condition... This antibiotic can stimulate gastric motility ...
Anthony Bray, MD : I agree that you need to get established again with good gastroenterologist that you trust ....
Anthony Bray, MD : I agree with being puzzled at your conflict of test results !!
Anthony Bray, MD : i don't have a great explanation for that so I certainly understanding new GI wanting to get new gastric emptying study to determine better what your current stomach function is!!
Anthony Bray, MD : i think that upper endoscopy study would be likely recommended as well...
Anthony Bray, MD : Meats would be expected to cause you difficulty with digestion with this problem... Soft foods better ... Some cases may benefit too from puréed foods and supplements such as Endure or Boost if severe...
Anthony Bray, MD : Screen shows you typing but so far I see no reply on my screen??
Anthony Bray, MD : If no reply appears soon then I may switch to Q and A format -- this at times may fix problems if your responses do not show on the chat format....
Customer:

I agree but the GI took one look at my stomach (I have fatty liver disease) and my a1c level and thinks I am a liar. I was in the hospital for a week with one difficult bout with the paresis and was only on an iv and they couldn't get my blood sugar level under 250 until the last few days and that was with a LOT of insulin. Most of the time the pills for paresis will pass on through my system whole. As you can tell I need someone who likes a challenge and will work with me. I am getting the upper endoscopy next week and the colonoscopy the week after that. I use the drinks and baby food as needed. Thanks for the reply. If he isn't more supported after the tests then I will keep looking. Any suggestion on how to find the right one?

Anthony Bray, MD : Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth would be separate possible issue...
Anthony Bray, MD : gastroenterologist can help to evaluate for this possibility as well...
Anthony Bray, MD : Well seek out the reputAtion if the doctors in your area .... If you know any nurse then they may be a helpful resource in this regard...
Anthony Bray, MD : if you have friends / family in the community who have or know GI specialists then that would be helpful to you !
Anthony Bray, MD : i agree with you that being treated as though you are dishonest would be disconcerting as to the quality of care that you might expect ....
Anthony Bray, MD : diabetes is the most common cause of gastroparesis ...
Anthony Bray, MD : the fatty liver disease would tend to benefit from low fat diet and good control of diabetes....
Anthony Bray, MD : high triglycerides tend to make fatty liver worse... High triglycerides are common with diabetes ...
Anthony Bray, MD : Bile acid sequestrants help to treat fatty liver -- these bind fatty acids and speed elimination --- Questran or Welchol are examples but you taking these medicinessy not be the easiest for you with the gastroparesis ...
Anthony Bray, MD : With current doctor too.... If you stay with him/ her the relationship over time may improve ... Sounds that it may be off to a bad start if there is such a sense of distrust though ...
Customer:

Sadly no one is here. We moved to Tenn from New Jersey. Thanks very much for your help. At least I know the tests can be different. I eat almost no fat. Carbs are never more than 15 per meal, under 1000 calories a day. My triglycerides went from 1600 to normal.

Anthony Bray, MD : You generally look for both medical competence and caring attitude ... Some MD's have one but not other...
Customer:

I am more than willing to give him a chance. I have so many issues and believe there has to be a connection somewhere.

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok that is great with your improved control as with the triglycerides --- that helps to reverse fatty liver disease at least !!
Customer:

I am an oddity so I know it takes a lot of faith on a dr side to believe me at first. I will give it a little while before I change.

Anthony Bray, MD : How is your hemoglobin A1c?? Good control if diabetes is also key ....
Anthony Bray, MD : I think that is good attitude on your part! Good luck in getting excellent help in dealing with these issues!!
Anthony Bray, MD : I know of many examples of better relationships between doctor and patient as the MD/ patient get to know each other over time...
Customer:

Thank you very much! You have helped more than you know.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Hello!

This is Dr. Anthony Bray from Justanswer.com. We spoke yesterday with regard to your concerns with regard to gastroparesis. Thank you for your questions and positive feedback!

Please feel welcome to return anytime if you have other medical or health questions. If you wish to reach me specifically then you may go to my profile page and type comment or question in the box on that page.

My profile page is http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Thank you again and best regards!!

Anthony Bray MD