Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have a slight pain on my left side just above my waist. No

I have a slight pain on my left side just above my waist. No other symptoms.  It hasn't affected anything like walking, running, even when i play soccer there is no problem.  i do often favor my left side and have had a back injury as well.  There is gas too.  Being a hypochondriac doesn't really help quell my worries so I just wanted to see what this could be.  Again no other symptoms, no loss of appetite or nausea or anything.  Bowels and urination are normal.  I can feel it when I cough or sneeze just a bit.

Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Customer:

Hello!

Anthony Bray, MD : well this pain on the left side >>> what quality of pain do you have?? Is it dull or sharp?? Is this a burning type pain?? Sharp- shooting??
Customer:

Not sharp, not super bothersome at all, I guess kinda subtle/dull if I had to categorize it!

Anthony Bray, MD : how long does it last ?? Is this coming and going or more steady??
Customer:

It's just sorta there. Hasn't disappeared and actually has improved in the past 24 hrs

Anthony Bray, MD : anything that makes it worse?? Anything that makes it better???
Anthony Bray, MD : any constipation --- more that 3 days between BM's?
Customer:

I guess when I push on it, I can feel the pain. When I turn I can slightly feel it. But again it has not slowed me down in any way.

Customer:

And no constipation at all

Customer:

normal functions

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok well it sounds of low probable concern as it bothers you to a minimum.... How long have you noticed this ??
Customer:

Just in the past day or so

Customer:

I've also been on a diet and eating better, so have been more active, and didn't stretch before my past two exercises.

Anthony Bray, MD : you mentioned the back and that twisting may aggravate the pain so back related is one possible cause ... On the other hand direct pressure over the area may bring it out ... Where left side ? Upper / mid section / left lower quadrant ??
Customer:

it is i guess lower left quadrant, just above the waist. Kinda where the appendix is but on the left.

Anthony Bray, MD : Right -- it could be muscular in origin ... Would it hurt to do a sit up or sitting up with twist of trunk??
Anthony Bray, MD : Appendix would usually hurt more below the waist ...
Customer:

No sir. Just did a couple and felt okay

Customer:

Yeah I imagine i'd be in severe pain if that were the case

Customer:

I also work 40-50 hours a week at a desk and slouch more than I probably should, haha.

Anthony Bray, MD : so above the waist I would count more as mid left side... I think muscle strain of abdominal. Muscles possible ... Irritation if the ascending colon would be possible ... Nothing to further suspect colon though ( no diarrhea or constipation, young age, no nausea --right??)
Customer:

no nausea, no constipation or diarrhea

Customer:

and yeah, i'm 23!

Anthony Bray, MD : Ok well I think at this point you are fine to watch this symptom over the next few days... If this should be a mild muscle strain or minimal back related injury then you would expect to see this very mild discomfort clear up...
Customer:

I see I see. Is some gas normal then as well?

Anthony Bray, MD : watch for red flag type symptoms > fever over 101.5> increased pain to point that you can't sleep > signs of bowel obstruction = nausea/ vomiting / increased pain and distention / no BM... ) > rectal bleeding or black tarry stool ...
Anthony Bray, MD : Get medical attention right away if you have any above scenarios!!!
Customer:

Will do for sure! Although nothing adverse has taken place and nothing has worsened.

Customer:

I think at times I get in my own head and worry!

Customer:

So diagnosed as a muscle strain then?

Anthony Bray, MD : Well the gas may reflect some GI irritation or source... You might watch for further GI symptoms--- you know cramping or diarrhea might be symptoms of a gastroenteritis developing or IBS ( irritable bowel syndrome)
Customer:

Would eating a bunch of meat the past 2-3 days have anything to do with that?

Anthony Bray, MD : IBS tends to be more prevalent with anxiety and you describe yourself as hypochondriac so it might be IBS... You may be worrier ...
Anthony Bray, MD : general GI sources might have benefit to take a probiotic such as yogurt or Activia or other product...
Customer:

Ah, okay then. Makes sense!

Customer:

I probably shouldn't slouch either

Customer:

sometimes I sit and move my body to the left when at my desk.

Anthony Bray, MD : Muscle stain would fit well with you being very active plus noticing some change with twist motion... General lack of Gi symptoms--- this combination would seem to fit with muscle source...
Customer:

Good to know. One more question.

Customer:

in the past I have had a slight testicular pain too. Again no symptoms. Haven't seen adverse changes etc.\

Anthony Bray, MD : Would just watch it for now... Hopefully it will resolve on its own with no medical attention needed...
Anthony Bray, MD : Testicular pain if transient may be partial torsion as possible source...
Customer:

what is torsion?

Anthony Bray, MD : if you had much if ongoing or severe pain then get medical attention for that problem...
Customer:

thankfully, I have not

Anthony Bray, MD : Twisting of the testicle beneath the dpermatic cord and blood vessels --- if too twisted for too long it can deprive testicle if blood supply ---
Anthony Bray, MD : complete torsion is emergency but a partial todo on is common cause of twinge of pain and most often resolves ... Person sitting wrong for example may cause ....
Anthony Bray, MD : That is good..
Customer:

Yeah, I do that more often than I should.

Customer:

Sit wrong, I mean.

Anthony Bray, MD : let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!!
Customer:

Thank you very much! Sorry I had so many

Anthony Bray, MD : if my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.
Anthony Bray, MD : that would be much appreciated!
Customer:

Absolutely! You have done well Dr. Bray

Anthony Bray, MD : Thank you and best regards!
Customer:

Thank you sir!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Hello!

This is Dr. Anthony Bray at Justanswer.com. We spoke with regard to your concerns of side pain. I wanted to thank you for using our service. Thank you for the positive feedback as well!

If you have future medical questions I hope that you feel welcome to return. You may reach me specifically if you wish at my profile page on the site

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Just type your comment or question on the box on this page and it will be directed to me.

Thank you again! Take care and best regards!!

Anthony Bray MD