Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

What would happen if you accidentally ingested neosporin?

Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 8 months ago.

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. Neosporin or any antibiotic ointment is made from a very small amount and antibiotic mixed with petroleum jelly (vaseline). There is no risk of injury unless you consumed it by the handful.

Chris C. :

It would cause a greasy taste and be hard to wash down but would not cause and damage.

Chris C. :

In pageants it is used on the teeth.

Chris C. :

Are you there?

Customer:

hello

Customer:

im here

Customer:

sorry

Customer:

that is good to know

Customer:

do they really use it on teeth?

Customer:

it says on the tube not to ingest

Chris C. :

Yes. They use it in order to remember to not close their mouth when on stage.

Customer:

and call poison control immediately

Chris C. :

I understand. A small amount will not harm you. As I said the based is vaseline and there is very little antibiotic in it. They have to put that on all products to protect them legally.

Chris C. :

This is not poisonous unless you were to eat several tubes of it.

Customer:

oh good

Customer:

i didnt eat it

Customer:

but i wondered about it being on my fingers and then touching my eyes and ears or getting it in my mouth or other orifaces

Customer:

that is great to know though

Chris C. :

No this would not cause any problems.

Customer:

is it true you should use it in small amounts, the directions say to use small amount

Chris C. :

Yes you should use small amounts. If you use large amounts it is not more effective and the excess is wasted since it is often brushed off where it is applied.

Customer:

oh i see

Customer:

and a little will do the job>

Chris C. :

Yes. A small amount will cover the area and that is sufficient.

Customer:

thanks so much for all the help

Customer:

is it used on babies?

Chris C. :

You are very welcome! It is used on babies yes.

Customer:

so all in all, a very helpful and not dangerous medicine

Chris C. :

That is correct. It is one of the least harmful home medicines there are.

Chris C. :

It is only a problem if very large amounts are consumed and then the main problem would be severe diarrhea, etc. Petroleum jelly (vaseline) when melted at body temperature is just like mineral oil (which is consumed to relive constipation).

Customer:

oh i see

Chris C. :

It is like drinking a glass of vegetable oil.

Chris C. :

Not a good idea.

Customer:

so it is the vasaline part that might cause issues

Chris C. :

Unless you like the bathroom.

Customer:

is it possible to be allergic to it?

Chris C. :

It is possible to be allergic to the antibiotic in the ointment yes.

Customer:

ah ok

Customer:

how would i know if i was

Chris C. :

If you have a penecillin allergy you will have an allergy to the neosporin.

Customer:

what would those symptoms look like

Chris C. :

The area where it was applied would develop a rash and there would be sever itching.

Customer:

ah ok

Customer:

but not life threwatoning

Customer:

threatoning

Chris C. :

No. Not with this medication.

Customer:

thanks very much

Customer:

this has been a great help

Chris C. :

You are very welcome!

Customer:

can it be used around genitals, on a baby foir diaper irritation

Customer:

or to keep things clean

Customer:

just curious

Chris C. :

Vaseline or neosporin acts as a barrier holding in moisture by creating a physical barrier between the skin and air so the water stays in the skin. This is not a good idea in the genital area on a large scale. You want that area to stay dry.

Chris C. :

This is why baby powder is used.

Customer:

oh i see

Customer:

that is good advice

Customer:

but its not a problem getting into the anus or the penis or vagina

Customer:

its more about keeping moisture out

Customer:

not trapping in the moisture

Customer:

which might make rashes worse

Chris C. :

No as long as it is not large amounts.

Customer:

right

Customer:

cause that would be the same as ingesting?

Customer:

but it would take a whole tube

Customer:

or something

Chris C. :

Yes moisture makes rashes worse and the vaseline also acts as a heat barrier so the area gets hot.

Chris C. :

Heat and moisture makes rashes worse.

Chris C. :

It should not intentionally be put in the penis, vagina, or anus. It may be used in small amounts on the surface but not inserted.

Customer:

ah ok

Customer:

can you tell me why though, i know im belaboring the point, but just curious

Customer:

what the danger is there

Customer:

i guess it wuld be the same as vasaline

Chris C. :

The danger from what?

Customer:

well you say not intentionally

Customer:

what is the danger

Customer:

if you just put it in there i mean

Customer:

would it be like ingesting?

Customer:

this is my lat questioni promise

Customer:

and just more out of curiousity

Chris C. :

It could cause a blockage of the penis and irritation. The vagina much the same although not as much. The anus would not be that big of a concern and some people use it as an alternative to hemorrhoid creams. It should never be used in babies though since all of the skin in these areas is much more sensitive.

Customer:

oh i see, so the blockage is cause its blocks moisture and repels water, so its hard to remove, the body has to absorb it

Customer:

and you would have to pee it out i guess

Customer:

but maybe you couldnt

Chris C. :

It would block the hold and since obviously water and oil do not mix it would not dissolve. So it would have to be pushed out which can cause problems in the penis and backup into the bladder and kidneys eventually.

Chris C. :

block the hole

Customer:

oh no

Customer:

so what would the doctor do to resolve it

Chris C. :

In the rare case that this would actually happen there are a couple of options. When you have to urinate bad enough there is quite a bit of pressure built up and this would likely push it out. If it did not then the doctor would likely put in a catheter to remove the blockage.

Chris C. :

Mush like kidney stones that do not pass.

Chris C. :

much

Chris C. :

Spell check is down

Customer:

i see, ok thank you very much. I think its safe to use for me

Customer:

i feel better about it now

Customer:

i dont think these extreme scenarios will happen

Chris C. :

I hope they never do.

Chris C. :

Anyways there are tens of millions of people that have used neosporin with no problem so it is not like an exotic medicine. They literally produce hundreds of thousands of punds of the stuff every month.

Chris C. :

So yes it is safe.

Customer:

right, im being paranoid

Chris C. :

pounds

Customer:

medicine often scares me

Customer:

i get freaked out by the warnings

Chris C. :

I understand. In this case it is not of concern when used according to the directions.

Customer:

thanks so much

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.