Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Hi Dr. Bray my OCD was a little better this past week however

Hi Dr. Bray my OCD was a little better this past week however two staring episodes one involving looking at the writing on a cap hat that read palm-air with the hypen and the other was one tv where it seemed like I was staring at an actors necklace chain. Both of these instances my ocd thinking was trying to trick me that it affects my heart but logically I know it does not. Am I best off telling myself that no matter what my ocd may cause me to stare that there is no connection to the heart?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 8 months ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello again!
Customer:

Hi Dr Bray

Anthony Bray, MD : Yes , it is best for you to avoid the OCD distractions as best that you can.
Customer:

My biggest obstacle is finding ways to shift the thinking away from thinking it affects the heart that has been the hardest to do

Anthony Bray, MD : It is best for you to know that whatever it is that catches your attention --- it is the same process--- these OCD obsessions do not affect your heart!!
Anthony Bray, MD : The same is true of each instance...
Customer:

I keep telling myself that the heart function is not connected to the vision function when this happens

Anthony Bray, MD : Right -- I get what you are saying--- the OCD is carrying you down an emotional path like a roller coaster--- it carries you over the top and there you are in locked into this fast and fearful path.
Customer:

exactly the thought pattern about the heart falsely being affected keeps lingering

Anthony Bray, MD : Yes you need to use psychological tools and strengthen these tools/ techniques over time...
Anthony Bray, MD : Right the stubborn nature of the thought path is the nature of the OCD!!
Anthony Bray, MD : You use the logic to fight it --- it does not make logical sense as to these things hurting your heart... You use the reminders... CBT techniques.... Relaxation techniques... Plus taking your medicines if course to help...
Anthony Bray, MD : Fighting this is a process---- it takes time / effort/ therapy -- all in combination....
Anthony Bray, MD : So you too have to have realistic expectations and be patient with yourself and the treatment process!!
Anthony Bray, MD : you know much more now than you did at the beginning -- you ate making process....
Anthony Bray, MD : I know that it is frustrating that it can't be fixed more readily ...
Anthony Bray, MD : It is much easier for us to tell you you have no reason to fear what is going on with your heart... When your are living in middle if this fear it is not easy though!!
Customer:

I agree I know this sounds overboard regarding the heart functions being separate from what I see but also could I tell myself that the heart is independent and works by itself? Does a certain part of the brain also control the heart function in addition to its electrical system?

Anthony Bray, MD : Yes there are interactions but realize this too --- a person has a heart transplant -- this heart still functions normally -- so the transplant heart functioning fine is reason to examine your fears -- why fear what you see???? Every single doctor will tell you this has no effect !!! Your emotions refuse to believe it though ... So you must rise above this emotion --- that is THE FALSE FEAR OF YOUR OCD!!!
Customer:

that makes sense

Anthony Bray, MD : So you need to realize that your emotions >> your fear refuses to believe the truth >> your fear makes you fear looking at the silliest little things as a danger to your heart!!
Customer:

so the feelings I get when I start to stare at something like the writing on the hat or some object like the necklace someone is wearing on tv is strictly nerves tingles and muscles possibly tightening from anxiety? I usually take some deep breathes to break this ritual and move away

Anthony Bray, MD : Come on can you imagine defending this thought to a crowd of strangers?? Why a semi- colon caused me to have heart failure??
Customer:

lol

Anthony Bray, MD : i hope that this strikes you as ridiculous and not reasonable...
Customer:

it does thank you

Anthony Bray, MD : I think that if you can let your reason dominate your thought process and not fear then that is the KEY!!!
Anthony Bray, MD : You are very welcome!!
Anthony Bray, MD : i hope this helps!
Customer:

I agree so any kind of tingling feeling is strictly nerves probably from anxiety also when the staring happens?

Anthony Bray, MD : Let me know if you have further questions/ concerns/ discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes that sounds that you may have some psychosomatic symptoms due to the anxiety.
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further! Take care and best regards!!
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Thank you Dr Bray

Anthony Bray, MD : You are very welcome!! Hang in there!! I will be here when you need encouragement!!
Customer:

Thank you again I appreciate your help

Anthony Bray, MD : You are very welcome!! Hang in there and keep working to get better! Don't get discouraged!!
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice