Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

Colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at 3pm. Instructions

Colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at 3pm.

Instructions from GI doctor state to drink 1/2 of Golytely drink tonight, and 1/2 in the morning. Well, as I have aXXXXXto get to the place where we're doing the colonoscopy, I decided to drink a little over 1/2 tonight - about 88oz.

My question is - how safe is this procedure? I know it's done all of the time, on probably thousands of patients per day.

I am a 25 year old female who has experienced a change in bowel habits (no blood), and GI doc was hesitant to even DO a colonoscopy because of my age and no blood in stool.

I've never had any negative effects from anesthesia, but then again, the only procedure I've really had was a c-section 3 years ago, done with a spinal (not epidural).

Question is: How safe is this procedure/anesthesia? Doc said I'd be awake but sedated. Also, After 88oz of Golyetly, my stool seems clear with tiny pieces of orange "matter". Normal? Do I really have to drink the rest of that if it's already clear?
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

I can understand your concern and worry, before undergoing this procedure.
A colonoscopy is a outpatient procedure in which the inside of the large intestine (colon and rectum) is examined.

The procedure typically lasts from 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Also, one may feel some cramping or a sensation of having gas, but it would pass away very soon.

In majority of colonoscopy, doctor prefer conscious sedation.
Here doctor, starts with small starting dose, then small subsequent doses until the patient is sufficiently sedated. Then the physician will start the colonoscopy, giving repeated doses of the medicine as necessary during the procedure.

Medications used in anesthesia are extremely effective, and have safe sedation for colonoscopy.

Colonoscopy is safer, and more comfortable procedure, No need to get panic.

It is important, that bowel must be empty so that your doctor can clearly view the colon.
It is advised, to follow instructions given to you for your bowel preparation well in advance of the procedure. If your bowel is not empty, then your colonoscopy will not be successful and may have to be repeated.

So, please use full Golyetly, as advised by your doctor.
Yes, you should drink, it full, even though your bowel is clear.

Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.