Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I had a lyme disease test a few weeks ago that showed positive

I had a lyme disease test a few weeks ago that showed positive ELISA (1.45) and IGG 3 IGM 0.

They told me I had lyme disease and gave me antibiotics, but now I'm researching it and finding out I don't necessarily have it, right? And the antibiotics are making me feel even worse than I did before i started taking them.

Should i stop the antibiotics? Do you think I have lyme disease because the IGG said 3 of 10?
Hi--even though the IGG is low it's still positive so it is very likely you do have Lymes. Let your doctor know about the medication side effects because the antibiotic can be changed but you shouldn't stop the antibiotics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

on the literature on the test results page it says that in order for it to be a true positive there has to be at least 5/10 IGG to be considered positive.

So doesnt that mean it's unknown? Are we playing probabilities at this point?

Yes we are playing probabilities but let's put it this way--if this were me I'd take the antibiotics just to be on the safe side