Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Hi, my name isXXXXX was just shocked by some sort of

Hi, my name isXXXXX was just shocked by some sort of power cord at work. I don't know much about electricity. The whole row of computers suddenly turned off, so I was trying to figure out what came unplugged and apparently something was live. Should I see a doctor?

Thank you for your question,

It appears that your requested expert is not on line.

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Which part of the body did come in contact with the electricity?

Is there any mark/ burn?

Do you feel any symptom now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I grabbed a rather thick metal cord or cable with my hand. I don't seem to have any burns. I have an unpleasant tingling sensation mostly focusing in my hand and arm, but I feel it through my body. I have a sort of tight feeling in my chest, but I think my heartbeat is pretty steady. I feel nauseous, I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

How is your pulse rate?

Do you feel any pain in chest?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My pulse is about 104. I don't really have any pain in my chest, just a tight feeling.

Thank you Clarissa, for all the information,

Brief mild electric shock often does not need any treatment.

Sometimes it can result in cardiac arrest which usually occurs during the shock.

In the absence of burn from electric injury or any heart symptom, it is often not worrying.

However, raised pulse & tight feeling in the chest need observation.

Feeling of tightness, rise in pulse can also result from anxiety, stress associated with shock.

Please try to relax.

If you still feel tightness in chest or develop pain in chest, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

I hope this information helps.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as good or excellent. If you want to click poor or bad service, please stop & feel free to reply & ask till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification. I hope to work with you again soon!
Regards.