Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Is this true that olanzapine decreases the neurotransmitters

Is this true that olanzapine decreases the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Serotonin, Histamine, Adrenaline, and GABA?

SSRIs increase serotonin.
Adderall increases Dopamine.

Is this true that olanzapine counteracts Prozac and Adderall actions?
Thanks. Ray

Hello Ray,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Olanzapine and Adderall has significant drug interaction and ideally should be avoided together. The exact mechanism by which olanzapine exerts its antipsychotic effect is unknown. However, this effect may be mediated through a combination of dopamine and serotonin 5-HT blockage. It may also mildly block or decrease the GABA, Histamine and Adrenaline. It does not have interaction with the Prozac though.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you need further information, please just send me a reply asking for clarification. Once you are satisfied, I hope you will enter a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks again for using this service. Your business is appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes Ray, it can decrease all these (Dopamine, Serotonin, Histamine, Adrenaline, and GABA) neurotransmitters. But more significant decrease is seen in dopamine and serotonin.

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So olanzapine counteracts Prozac and Adderall actions. Is this true?

I am not suggesting to take these medications together. I am just curious.

It counteracts Adderall significantly though Prozac action may not be completely blocked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If olanzapine and fluoxetine counteract each other’s effect, why is Symbyax (Olanzapine and fluoxetine) prescribed for depression. If a person has a depression and anxiety problem only, wouldn’t it be better to just take fluoxetine by itself?

Yes, Fluoxetine would be better but many times people do not respond to one drug alone and people who have anxiety and depression both have been observed to respond to two drug therapy. These medications do not work like a mathematical formula and many of their effects and mechanism of actions are not clearly known. So they show beneficial effects in many individuals in combination.