Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

my wife is in rehab following bi-lateral knee replacement surgery.

my wife is in rehab following bi-lateral knee replacement surgery. Her blood pressure is consistently high 170 - 180's/ high 90's. They have her on Cumadin. She is post operative for 12 days now. Is this a danger sign or normal?
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.Did she have blood pressure issues prior to her surgery? As in - times where it was uncontrolled.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, just prehypertension in the 130 systolic range

Ok thank you for the reply. Most times vital signs (blood pressure included) will react in response to pain and stress. As she is healing and going through rehab, her blood pressure is just responding to the added stress that is being put on her. Also, she may have been having times of uncontrolled blood pressure before all this surgery but was nit caught because you would not be checking the vital signs (blood pressure) as often and as close as they are now. So, there are several scenarios here that may be in place. Reply back if you would like to discuss in more detail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

please discuss scenarios with me. I realize you are using the broader term for "stress", physiological stress including emotional/pain stress.

Scenarios would be the increase in blood pressure due to being put through physical stress of rehab (walking, etc) and the pain that goes along with it. Pain itself can raise a blood pressure dramatically. But yes, she is also under psychological stress trying to adjust to her new knees and all the work that she knows she has ahead of her to be back on her feet. It could very easily be a combination of physical exertion, pain, and psychological stress. As the process of rehab moves on, the pain should improve and so should the psychological stress...but these things take time...quite a bit of time sometimes. In the meantime, she needs to make sure she is medicated prior to doing any rehab to lessen the pain while she is trying to gain her strength back and then working closely with her Physician to adjust her blood pressure medications while going through this stressful time to ensure her blood pressure is well controlled.
Thank you for allowing me to help today. Good luck to your wife and if I can assist in the future, just address your question to Nurse Milli only and I'll be sure to answer you. Thank you again.