Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Hi. I have a question concerning the DVLA CDT test. I used

Hi. I have a question concerning the DVLA CDT test.

I used to be a regular wine drinker. I gave that up in May 2013. Since then I have had (collectively) about four pints of beer and 20 glasses of wine ie over 24 weeks. Recently my doctor conducted a blood test for an unrelated matter (prostate precaution as I'm 61) The blood test was fine in all respects and my liver functions were fine insofar as GGT ALT etc.
I intend to reapply for my license in the next week or so and I would like to know what my CDT levels might look like.
Can you comment, please?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you today.

Chris C. :

The CDT levels at that consumptions should be fine.

Chris C. :

This will explain the testing and just how inaccurate it is. It takes a large amount of alcohol over a long time to show a positive result over the cut-off level.

Chris C. :

"CDT detects chronic daily alcohol intake equivalent to 60g ethanol in non-alcoholic subjects in 3 out of 7 women (after 10 days) and 5 of 12 men (after 14/21 days). Furthermore they indicate, that CDT may detect 6 out of 7 women after 2 weeks and 8 of 12 men after 3 weeks, if consumption of alcohol is continued. Especially in women the sensitivity to detect an alcohol abuse is higher than previously described. Due to the known high specifity, CDT levels exceeding cut-offs strongly point at alcohol abuse eqivalent to at least 60g/day over the preceding 2 resp. 3 weeks. Otherwise there are non responders, so that even normal CDT-values cannot exclude alcohol abuse in this manner."

Chris C. :

As long as you do not consume any more alcohol in large quantity until after the test you should be cleared.

Customer:

Is it possible to get a CDT test through the NHS?

Chris C. :

I'm sorry but I do not know since we are located in the US.

Chris C. :

I think it should be possible but you may want to check out the website to research it:

Customer:

To elucidate...I had 6 glasses of red wine about a month ago at a party. and 2 glasses of red wine 2 weeks ago at dinner. Should I abstain completely until the test?

Chris C. :

Ok, the best bet is to abstain until after the test and given this is all you consumed the test should be under the cut-off level.

Customer:

OK . I'll check out the NHS website.. I'm aware that you have been using CDT in the States for quite some time

Chris C. :

Yes I'm just not aware of the NHS regulations.

Chris C. :

As t testeting.

Chris C. :

testing and covering it.

Customer:

I think they are playing 'catch up' over here with CDT. My GP didn't know what it was!

Customer:

Basically then, 2 weeks of no drink at all, which is absolutely no problem and my CDT should be under the cut off.

Chris C. :

Yes that is correct.

Customer:

Thanks Chris. I think that's answered my question.

Chris C. :

Great! Thanks for your question! Please don't forget to rate my service today so I get credit for my time.

Customer:

Best Regards XXXXX XXXXX rate you highly!