Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My sister has constipation. She takes a lot of anxiety

My sister has chronic constipation. She takes a lot of anxiety medication and has Multiple sclerosis. This has been going on for years, and we went to the doctor once who verified no obstruction.
We need some advice on how to treat this. She eats a lot of cereal, could that be binding her up? Should we give her Miralax every day. She is growing laxative dependent, and the only thing that seems to work is enemas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Robert Fernando replied 11 months ago.
Welcome back to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

In medical terminology,constipation is defined as less than three bowel movements per week. Severe constipation is defined as less than one bowel movement per week.

Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.

As your sister is having chronic constipation,following will help her greatly:

-Increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

-Lifestyle changes like regular exercise

-Drink plenty of water

-A diet with enough fiber (20 to 35 grams each day) helps the body form soft, bulky stool.

-Avoid smoking & alcohol consumption.

-Don't take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.

-Take bulk-forming laxatives like Metamucil.If this doesn't help then take stimulant suppositories containing bisacodyl (e.g. Dulcolax)can be used.

All this will help her greatly to prevent constipation.If still it persists,then she may need to consult the doctor for tests & prescription medications accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

One last question, so it's okay to have bran cereal every morning? It won't "bind her up" to get that much cereal?

Dear Marsha
Thank you for asking follow up question.

I am happy to help you.

Yes,she should have bran cereals every morning.

Bran is the outer layer of grains like rice, corn, wheat, or barley. It's also the part of the grain that is the most nutrient dense, and contains proteins, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, and antioxidants.

Look for whole-grain bread, oatmeal, ground flax seed, barley, and wheat bran cereal. Her goal should be to get up to 35 grams of fiber a day, and just one ounce of wheat bran cereal gives you 10 grams.

A diet with enough fiber (20 to 35 grams each day) helps the body form soft, bulky stool.

If still after all these measures,her constipation persists,then she need to consult her doctor & following tests will then be required:

-Anorectal manometry
-Balloon expulsion tests
-Bio feed back analysis
-Colo-rectal study
-Defecography
-Barium enema x-ray studies

The underlying cause(if any) needs to be diagnosed & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert